Electrician Talk banner

Cant come to work, car updating

1576 Views 34 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  acro
I see new work excuses coming.

On Wednesday we had a birthday party, my sister-in-law and her family had to be picked up. Their brand new Tesla Y, not even 2 months old had to be towed. Apparently overnight it Started an automatic Update and the car will not start now.. After talking with multiple Tesla techs over the phone and then trying to do push updates via the Internet. It never completed the update but it shows it did, and so they can't get it to do anything. They eventually had to have the car towed so they could work on it in person.

I highly recommended that he turn off all automatic updates if that feature is possible.
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Can't Remember
11,517 Posts
I received one of those recall notices in the mail. It's related to how much pressure the windows closing on someone and could be hazardous. They are waiting for the software to be written. I suspect a lot of it are tweaks to sensors and how the car views the environment it's in.

· Registered
Power distribution and controls
2,926 Posts
I have a friend who's daughter had one of the jeeps that you could take control of.
I called her and told her the news. She was working and making really good money. I tried to convince her to sell the jeep and move to something else. I ended my speech with "I hate funerals for stupid reasons". Yes I have been to a few mostly for thinking the man was smarter than the electrons. A couple of weeks later an unexplained event happened. Minor damage to the bumper. She sold the vehicle as soon as it was repaired. She now has a great husband and 2 kids, no jeeps in the garage.

I am completely anti any form of tech that the vehicle needs to communicate to anything for. My Ford is a 2011 and has never been updated for anything. Works just fine. It is far from being high tech and that is just fine for me.
Before I bought the Ford, I found a GMC that I really liked and had gotten to signing on the bottom line. I told the dealer you will be disconnecting the Onstar for this price. No we will not. Onstar works and I walk. Drove the Ford onto their lot the next day to rub it in and remind the salesman I was serious. I am not into Big Brother looking over my shoulder in my vehicle.

Reactions: acro

· Registered
Water treatment plant maintenance
1,266 Posts
What about these car companies that are charging subscriptions in order for stuff to work. I read BMW or Volvo or some foreign company proposed charging a subscription for the air bags to work. That seems so stupid even the Germans wouldn't try it. They do offer subscriptions for heated seats and a bunch of other crap. Heard some Lexus cars you have to pay a subscription in order for the climate controls, radio, and windows to work or something along those lines. Like cars aren't expensive enough already, they need to make even more money from subscriptions...

Also fun tip, on some newer ford's with the tailgate cam, if you unplug the wiring going to the camera about half the in cab controls quit working. Buddy found that out installing a flatbed on one.

For my money my ole 87 Ford f150 suites me just fine.

· Registered
Power distribution and controls
2,926 Posts
My mother had a 72 Caprice (Chevy) and hated the seat belt dinger . So she drove to the dealer and they refused to deal with it. So she when to the mechanic we used and he unplugged the dinger and off she went. 3 days later she got pulled over by the highway patrol no tail lights. Also found out the horn and ac would not work. Father got it plugged in and found a way to snap the drivers seat belt so she could drive and not have to listen to the dinger.

I worked on P&H shovels for many years. There were some things we wished we could change in the programing. Sadly management would not pay for the privilage of getting the changes done. Excuse was always we will loose our warranty on the system. They do not even use this system any more and they do not update it ever! Shovels were old, workable, so we named all of them. One we called the B word.

Reactions: acro

· Registered
University maintenance
314 Posts
Just wait till your toaster gets PO'd about the quality of your connection, or the freezer decides you are not worthy.
A few years ago i read a short story about a toaster that would only work if you bought the right kind of bread that was authorized by the toaster company. The author was inspired by current copyright laws that make it illegal to bypass "anti-piracy" measures by modifying the product, like others have mentioned about john deere.

· Registered
Electrician
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
This sll sounds like the NFPA. You cant BUY a pdf NEC anymore for $65. But for your good we will let you subscripe to a copy for $100 a year

· Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
4,141 Posts
This sll sounds like the NFPA. You cant BUY a pdf NEC anymore for $65. But for your good we will let you subscripe to a copy for $100 a year
The reason why you cannot buy a PDF anymore is everybody was making copies. Companies are in business to make money but some people feel entitled to freeload. Like the music and movie industry. Look at Quick Books, you cannot buy a disk any more. Only yearly subscription. I am sure if everybody followed the rules we could still get the PDF.

· Registered
2,323 Posts
We still have an F-550 disel that shuts itself off when in park and idelling for 15 minutes, even the dealer couldn't change it because it was coded that way from the factory. A request my manager made when it was ordered that he regretted later.

Tim

· Registered
Electrician
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The reason why you cannot buy a PDF anymore is everybody was making copies. Companies are in business to make money but some people feel entitled to freeload. Like the music and movie industry. Look at Quick Books, you cannot buy a disk any more. Only yearly subscription. I am sure if everybody followed the rules we could still get the PDF.
Was it really happening to that extent or is it an excuse to go to a subscription service that costs way way more than the pdf did.

DON R. Illuded that there is more pirating now than before.

I have a 2020 nec handbook and a pdf copy now. Pdf is for quick search at sites. I still like a physical copy but digital is nice in a pinch.

· Registered
8,240 Posts
I'm pretty sure I have never done a 100% successful computer update. I have learned to avoid them until the computer doesn't work anymore, then get a new one :) The last one I tried with a mac got stuck at 99% and I had to spend two hours on my phone trying to figure out how to undo it. It was a success but I never did get everything back in place.

Technology is awesome when it works.

· Registered
6,189 Posts
The comment that they are computers on wheels is an apt one. So far, we haven’t had any trouble with our model 3. It does its updates automatically. I’d agree the updates are probably worthwhile.
Do they come with a Readme.txt, for the curious types?

· Registered
6,189 Posts
Just the way I think ... They came up with yet another way to mine your data, driving habits, where you go etc ... just like most Windows updates.

They can record pretty much everything, how fast you drive, accelerate,brake etc.
Just like the Internet, there is no such thing as privacy.

The next thing will be denying warranty repairs because of your driving data
This...

21 - 35 of 35 Posts