Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had 3 electricians come try to uncover why my electricity in a basement bathroom went out. They all agreed there were too many things connected to one circuit breaker, however all the circuit breakers and fuse box are working fine. However the outlets and lights in the bathroom are not receiving electricity. The electricians couldn't find where the wire was going since it is behind the walls, and they assumed some part of the wire had an issue.
So their solution was to take out the wire which was not receiving electricity and leave it in the wall and just install a new wire which they will connect to outlets/ lights to a nee circuit breaker panel.

Please let me know if this is acceptable?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had 3 electricians come try to uncover why my electricity in a basement bathroom went out. They all agreed there were too many things connected to one circuit breaker, however all the circuit breakers and fuse box are working fine. However the outlets and lights in the bathroom are not receiving electricity. The electricians couldn't find where the wire was going since it is behind the walls, and they assumed some part of the wire had an issue.
So their solution was to take out the wire which was not receiving electricity and leave it in the wall and just install a new wire which they will connect to outlets/ lights to a nee circuit breaker panel.

Please let me know if this is acceptable?
Yes but you better open the wall and remove the loos wire before it starts a fire

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
If you really have concern, you should call the AHJ and discuss it with them.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea I was concerned that having loose wires in the walls may not be a good idea even if its not receiving electricity

·
Registered
322 Posts
Not acceptable.

There could be a junction box behind the finish in one of the walls or ceiling. O am surprised at least one of them did not use a signal tracer to find out where the wire were in the walls and ceiling.

Once found then they would have a fair idea where to open up the wall(s) and/or ceiling.

As it is now you have a cable in the going to who knows where (likely a concealed junction box with a loose connection). The loose connection could still reconnect and re-enegize the abandoned cable buried in the wall.

The only time you disconnect a cable and leave it in a wall or ceiling cavity is if you also disconnect the other end of that cable. You cut the ends off both ends of the cable abandoned cable as far back as you are able before pushing the ends into the wall/ceiling cavity. This way there is no chance of it accidently energizing.

Have this check as soon as possible.

This is a a fire hazard and possibly a shock hazard (basement + bathroom = moisture = electrical conductor)

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
but 2 different electricians said it would be fine to leave the loose wires in the wall, since it was too hard to find where it was going to and it wasn't receiving electricity.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Wrong forum, you need to got to DIYchatroom. Also better get a better electrician, No one I know would do what you described. You have a serious fault that needs to be found or the results could be disastrous. Since you come from where I was born and raised in the north ward I will give you one bit of info. Since this is an obvious remodel, I know the houses there. When it was done someone tapped a feed somewhere and the splice went bad, You said three electricians were there but were they real electricians? They would be able to determine if you lost a hot or neutral and been able to find problem. Probably in a fixture or a box in another location but most likely in the basement. You need a professional electrician not someone doing a side job.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so you are saying I need to find the circuit breaker or fuse box the wire is connecting to and disconnect it from that as well as dissconnect from outlet and then remove the entire wire?

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,897 Posts
yea I was concerned that having loose wires in the walls may not be a good idea even if its not receiving electricity
Try calling a real licensed electrician and stop dealing with hacks!

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,897 Posts
I want to get advice from experienced electricians though not DIYers
While that is understandable that is not the purpose of this forum.

IBTL

Reactions: telsa

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
One who gave me that advice was licensed and google verified with reviews. Just because they are licensed, doesn't mean that they won't try to take short cuts, thats why I am posting. The licensed guy wanted to charge me $700 to put in a new circuit breaker panel to connect 3 lines to while leaving the old wires in the wall.
It's been tough finding good electricians in my area of Newark, New Jersey. Let me know if there are any here. Another thing too is a lot of electricians want to charge an hourly rate of $100 or higher which I don't like since I don't know how many hours it will take and they have the incentive to take their time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.