Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Water treatment plant maintenance
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know you can't staple romex perpendicular across the bottom of floor joists, even in a crawl space. But if you put a 1x on either side that's greater than 1.25 inches away and call it a furring strip, your good to go? Not sure how that keeps someone from running a screw through the cable but just trying to understand these rules I never use. Building a wiring chase like this might be a real clean option for my basement.

Handwriting Rectangle Font Whiteboard Parallel
Wood Font Publication Pattern Newsprint

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't bring myself to drill the joists in my house. They are 70 year old rough sawn 2x8 fir. You can't even drive a screw in those things. Mostly just trying to make sure I understand some of these rules just out of general curiosity.

·
Hackenschmidt
13,761 Posts
If you ever finish the ceiling, the wood you put up might become a furring strip, but if you're not going to do that, don't call it furring strips, call it running boards. That's what you call wood strips when they're protecting the cable from physical damage.

Also, use half inch conduit, those fir joists deserve better than having some plastic cable stapled to them.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you ever finish the ceiling, the wood you put up might become a furring strip, but if you're not going to do that, don't call it furring strips, call it running boards. That's what you call wood strips when they're protecting the cable from physical damage.

Also, use half inch conduit, those fir joists deserve better than having some plastic cable stapled to them.
OK terminology question. I've always thought of running boards as a board that the cable gets staple to.

Like so
Handwriting Rectangle Font Line Office supplies

Does that term still apply if the wires are next to the board?

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
4,758 Posts
I can't bring myself to drill the joists in my house. They are 70 year old rough sawn 2x8 fir. You can't even drive a screw in those things. Mostly just trying to make sure I understand some of these rules just out of general curiosity.
Go with the EMT if you can, if they are the hard old wood every staple could be a pain.
The boards in both cases, on sides or under cables are to stop people to stop putting things across them. The side ones protect them from supporting things stored between joists but don't stop people from using them as clotheslines.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got a 500 ft rool of romex I bought 5 or 6 years ago, so nah I ain't piping it. Thinking I'll build a central chase down the length of the house between two furring strips. I'll cut nice plywood covers and screw to the furring strips. Then rest of the ceiling can be finished straight to the bottom of the joists. Leave easy access for future work. Just need to clean up the sloppy and sketchy rewire that was done before we bought the house.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts