Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I'm guessing that is a DIY power correction device. The cap is too small to be doing anything there other than looking hack, but it probably made somebody think they were doing something

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm guessing that is a DIY power correction device. The cap is too small to be doing anything there other than looking hack, but it probably made somebody think they were doing something
Or they were trying some sort of filtering, audio guys do some pretty wacky things.

·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts
There is someone here who would be very interested in this :laughing:

I've used a phase coupler when using X-10 crap

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Looks like something to do with the transmission of signals. What in particular I have no clue. Either that its an attempt an surge suppression or noise filtration. I would have at least put it on a fuse:no:

·
Registered
364 Posts
8V71 said:
Old intercom system that uses the house wiring. The cap couples the 2 hots together.
By "couples the 2 hots together," do you mean it makes them peak at the same time? Why does the intercom system need this?

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,411 Posts
By "couples the 2 hots together," do you mean it makes them peak at the same time? Why does the intercom system need this?
A capacitor connected across the two hots will allow an audio signal to be present in both hots.

I've seen a few home intercom systems that use the house wiring to transmit audio, and if there's no coupling capacitor, any component that is not on the same hot as the master panel won't work.

The best way to do this is to use a two pole breaker, one pole feeds the master panel and one of the capacitor leads, the other pole is the other capacitor lead.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've seen it used to improve the signal reliability on X10 (and similar) systems to couple the signal between the 2 legs. Typically the capacitor would be connected to a 2-pole breaker as shown in this diagram.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
I've seen it used to improve the signal reliability on X10 (and similar) systems to couple the signal between the 2 legs. Typically the capacitor would be connected to a 2-pole breaker as shown in this diagram.

A hookup like this would present a 24 hour current draw and would not save anyone any money.

·
Registered
407 Posts
A hookup like this would present a 24 hour current draw and would not save anyone any money.
True, but it would draw about as much "phantom" current draw as a microwave oven, clock radio, programmable thermostat, cable modem, or any number of other items that are on 24/7

·
antisocial group ******
773 Posts
For some reason I am thinking ham radio guys did something like this in an attempt to use the entire home electrical distribution system as an antenna.

Does this ring a bell with anyone else here?

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,411 Posts
It's not PF correction, and its purpose is not to save money.

One possible reason for its existence is to cause an audio signal that is present in one of the hots to also be present in the other hot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts