Electrician Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, From the Pacific Northwest! Seattle, Bellevue, Kirkland area geographically writing. I'm not even a green horn yet. At least that's what we called them during my commercial fishing years. I'm 46 and on the waiting list for a non-union electrican training. CITC- Construction Industruy Training Council out of Bellevue. Could be up to a year and a half wait. But hopefully less. Should I brush up on Algebra before school starts? Any helpful advice would be great as I know absolutely nothing about electricity except it hurts when you touch 120 V and pain probably gets worse the higher the number of amps.:eek:

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and the trade! :thumbsup:
What caused you to change careers?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My future job opportunities were limited in a non-traditional field. Recently, I was exposed to new construction commercial type and really enjoyed wearing macho hardhats and learning to roto. HVAC stuff like copper pipe braising, unistrut, junction box & conduit for Control Systems ie garage CO2 sensors, RSC's Remote System Controllers for HVAC. Very interesting stuff. Electrical trade looks like the kind of mental challege my mind can adapt to. I can learn just about anything but a person wants to have desire to carry through to the end. I graduated from college. I don't have to work in the electrical trade--I WANT to work in the Electrical trade! I look forward to learning this field from the bottom up. That's called a good foundation.

·
Wire Ninja
20,984 Posts
My future job opportunities were limited in a non-traditional field. Recently, I was exposed to new construction commercial type and really enjoyed wearing macho hardhats and learning to roto. HVAC stuff like copper pipe braising, unistrut, junction box & conduit for Control Systems ie garage CO2 sensors, RSC's Remote System Controllers for HVAC. Very interesting stuff. Electrical trade looks like the kind of mental challege my mind can adapt to. I can learn just about anything but a person wants to have desire to carry through to the end. I graduated from college. I don't have to work in the electrical trade--I WANT to work in the Electrical trade! I look forward to learning this field from the bottom up. That's called a good foundation.
Sounds like you've got your attitude right :thumbsup:

Just remember, it's not all sunshine and roses, but the good days sure outnumber the bad days for me.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,748 Posts
Welcome!

I agree with Marc. I'm only doing this because I like it.
The thought of sitting still, or of a desk job, scares me. :jester:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Since you do sound gungho and seem to have a good backround for studying, here is my advice.

Get a couple of books to start familarizing yourself with the trade. Go online and get the manufacturer's catalogs... these have a tremendous amount of info for you to start becoming familar with.
A trade math book will help, do not concern yourself with the complex math, as you will most likely not use it.
A code book that you can start reading to become familar with the NEC. A handbook to go along with the NEC. Also the different year Analysis books by the IAEI and others are great ways to help you along. The more you do now, the better off you will be, as you do have some catching up to do.
Good Luck, and come here often with questions.

Ideal
Square D
Hubbell
Bussmann
Carlon
Cutler Hammer
GE
Erico
Panduit
Pass & seymour
Cooper
Sola-Hevi transformers
ABB
Siemens
Allied tube & conduit
Ferraz Shamut
Intermatic
Lutron
Superior
coleman Cable
AFC cable

this is just the tip of the iceberg for sites to start with, google these names and visit the sites, saving them in your favorites. Also go to the links on each site for further info.

Pierre

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow! Thanks alot. You answered some questions I had'nt gotten around to asking yet but was thinking about. That's the kind of info that brings me to these types of forums. Your right I do have alot of ketchup to do and I need to start now. I took some post college course work in GIS Geographic Information Systems and did fine while others dropped like flies. I discovered that being able to comprehend what you read made the difference - at least in those courses. But like others I'm not wired for sitting infront of a computer box all day. I'll follow up on your advice. :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts