Electrician Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone on new here And I'm looking to make A career change from an emt Into a trade,i be been looking at apprenticeships forelectricians and I'm.very interested, I found a local adult school that offers a year long state certified electrician class and was wondering if any guys with experience had insight on this,I could apply for union apprenticeship but its a long wait list I presume

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Hey everyone on new here And I'm looking to make A career change from an emt Into a trade,i be been looking at apprenticeships forelectricians and I'm.very interested, I found a local adult school that offers a year long state certified electrician class and was wondering if any guys with experience had insight on this,I could apply for union apprenticeship but its a long wait list I presume
Hello and welcome to the forum:thumbsup:

If there is a long wait for the union sign up and get in line while you're doing other stuff,if they call you will get in.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Take up plumbing, they make more money.....read this:

Payday is on friday.
**** flows down hill.
Don't chew your fingernails.

*Poof!*
You're a journeyman plumber!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Take up plumbing, they make more money.....read this:

Payday is on friday.
**** flows down hill.
Don't chew your fingernails.

*Poof!*
You're a journeyman plumber!
If I were to go back and start over I would have gone into HVAC instead of electrical.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The state of California has some information on their website about becoming an apprentice. There is also a good FAQ on certification.

Going to school is a good way to increase your chances of being selected for an apprenticeship; it demonstrates initiative, shows that you are serious about making this career choice, and that you're capable of learning. However, before you spend a bunch of money on tuition, I would make sure that wherever you plan to take classes is on the list of approved schools.

Reactions: daveEM

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Working 24 hour shifts and getting paid 9 bucks an hour;)
The pay for EMT's is terrible. Around here we start green apprentices for more than an experienced EMT makes. Paramedics make a little more, but still much less than an electrician.

So the guys that are the first, or second responders for keeping someone alive, are paid less than day laborers ??? Good God ! That makes no sense !

·
Registered
13 Posts
From a business perspective I would strongly recommend the HVAC trade. I have a business where we do both. My profits per job are much higher with the HVAC division. Why? Homeowners can't purchase refrigerant and other components like we can because they have to be EPA certified. Their inability to purchase items allows you to mark the products up appropriately so that you can make a fair profit. Also, with the HVAC trade you have the opportunity to return to the customers house or place of business at least twice a year performing routine maintenance. When we do electrical work we rarely return to the home until something breaks or our customer needs us for a remodel or something very similar. All that being said, an HVAC customer is much more profitable over a five year period than an electrical customer. I'm not sure if your state issues licenses to HVAC trades but if they do its certainly a bonus for you. I would consider pursuing that career even if they don't.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Plumbers do in fact perform HVAC work but its more of a specialty trade that not all plumbers participate. NJ will require a license for HVAC work starting Jan 2014. You can search for a union near you. They are excellent at providing you an education and work experience. My guys went the county Vocational school route. That's a great option too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
egm626 said:
Lineman, work for a utility.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts