Electrician Talk banner

Carlon 4" Super Blue Round Boxes

6K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Sparky J 
#1 ·
I am new to the site, but have often done searches for information when all else fails to get views on problems in the past. I've been an electrical contractor for almost 30 years doing all types of work and licensed in five states.

We've done a smattering of high-end residential work through the years and have just recently ran across a problem that I was wondering if anybody else was having. A google search returned nothing. We use the Carlon Blue heavy shell boxes when doing residential. Never had a problems and have always liked Carlon products. We have had both the bar-hanger blue and the nail-on hard shell boxes fail (disintegrate at the 8-32 bolt holes and the backs crack clean through where the box bolts to the hanger bar). The fixtures hung from the failed boxes range in weight from 3 - 15 pounds. (Those boxes are rated for 50 lbs). Anywhere in larger rooms with larger fixtures we used metal boxes anyhow. I sent my guys through the house this week looking at each fixture (about 30 - it's a 25,000sf house) after having 5 or 6 fail through the last couple of months. They brought me a box of 10 that were well on their way to failing. Has anybody else had this problem? Basically the rough was done over a year with the house heated when cold and the material stored either in the house or a roll-off, not exposed to the elements.

#2 ·
First let me tell you that there is stereotypical hatred towards blue Carlon boxes here due to homeowners often using them since they are available from Home Depot, so you may get skewed opinions.

Personally, I don't like hanging anything from a box in which the screws are only set in plastic. I use either a metal box or a plastic box that sits on the joist so that the screws go thru the box into the wood.

#3 ·
Thank you Hack Work for the reply. Understood, I dislike home depot and DIY's also, but like I said, these boxes failed with light (in weight) fixtures. I've had no problems in the past. Just curious if anybody has come across this issue that may point to a bad batch or manufacturing defect. Need some back up before I talk to somebody at T&B.

#4 ·
I would only use a steel box where a lighting fixture would be installed...

Just to CYA in case the fixture gets changed to crystal and steel...

It just keeps you out of the firing line if the box fails and properety/personal injury occurs...

Only exception is a 36" wide hallway where there is no room for anything larger that a 8" globe with one 60w. lamp...

#5 ·
I tend to use Steel City bar boxes and j brackets for any lighting fixture outside of a closet, basement, utility area. Steel city only because the min bar stretch is 11" , the other brands are like 13". For most of the 12" on center TGIs I deal with SC fits fine.

Reactions: Next72969
#7 ·
On topic

Guys...Let keep focused here. I'd rather run everything in EMT and GRC. I had to be dragged kicking and screaming to put a job in with MC cable and yes, I prefer metal boxes also. By the way, Steel City is T&B, is Carlon, is ABB now.

Please reply if anybody has had this issue with Carlon Super Blue boxes in the past 12 months.

#9 ·
Guys...Let keep focused here. I'd rather run everything in EMT and GRC. I had to be dragged kicking and screaming to put a job in with MC cable and yes, I prefer metal boxes also. By the way, Steel City is T&B, is Carlon, is ABB now.

Please reply if anybody has had this issue with Carlon Super Blue boxes in the past 12 months.
You can't expect to get answers around here without everyone bragging about how great they are and how they only run residential rec loads with explosion proof buss. It is just the cost of buisness.

#12 ·
I have had multiple problems with threads stripping in these. On multiple occasions I've ended up using a drywall screw instead of the 10/32, 8/32, etc, because it simply wouldnt grip.

I always assumed the bad rep they got on these forums is because they are poor quality.

I buy metal boxes for everything except old work boxes. I've been buying the blue for these. I've since switched to another brand.

#21 ·
Dash Dingo said:
I think your full of chit, let's see a picture. I've used thousands of super blues. The only time I have seen one crack is when I have beatin the chit out of hit with a hammer after my apprentice nail it up in the wrong spot.
It happened several times in a relatives brand new house. I ended just running wood screws through the fixture base into the joist and left the box. Not sure why anyone would make up a lie about a legitimate problem they're experiencing. I'm very happy with your blue box success story

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.