Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm lost when it comes to data/network, I

had a customer ask if I could add a jack for a computer and wasn't sure? There is one cat 5 coming to this box that the phone plugs into. Can you get more than one Jack from one cat 5 cable? Forgive my ignorance.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Can you yes, should you usually no. Is it conduit all the way back is it easy to pull another line? 100 only uses 2 of 4 pairs so technically you can

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
Yeah, just put a dual face plate on at the field end and split them across two jacks then make it easy for yourself and put an RJ45 splitter at the rack end, its probabally already hacked up anyone.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He would I do this, pick a certain pair from cat5 to put on new jack, or split all wires and put them on the jacks?

·
Pool Shark
472 Posts
The only way to supply two IP data connections with one cat5 is to put in a network switch. There is no other way. Unless you use the one computer as a router to NAT other pc's

Adding two or more phone lines is possible. But not ethernet and phone together unless DSL

·
Registered
100 Posts
Says "Time clock" written on the beam and looks like that is what is there on the left. Older clocks contain an analog modem so only use one pair. New ones use ethernet. Looks like there is a separate power feed so no PoE worries and would only need 2 pair.

·
Registered
988 Posts
ablyss said:
The only way to supply two IP data connections with one cat5 is to put in a network switch. There is no other way. Unless you use the one computer as a router to NAT other pc's

Adding two or more phone lines is possible. But not ethernet and phone together unless DSL
Incorrect. As already stated 100 connections only require 2 pairs so you can get 2 connections from one cat 5. Or 2 phone connections and one data connection

·
Pool Shark
472 Posts
Incorrect. As already stated 100 connections only require 2 pairs so you can get 2 connections from one cat 5. Or 2 phone connections and one data connection
Wow, I didn't know that. So one Cat5e can feed phone/fax/ and data.
What is the speed/frequency of the data? 100Mbs ?

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,935 Posts
Is that rigid conduit being used for data? Talk about overkill.

You can definitely hack another jack in there using one Cat5. It isn't suggested and it isn't proper but it is doable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is that an VOIP phone? If so, some have a built in switch for a computer to plug into. Take it off the wall and have a look.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Theoretically a Cat5 cable needs to be certified to be a cat5 cable assembly.

The first test is wiremap. If wiremap doesn't pass the cable is not really a cat 5 cable assembly.

·
Pool Shark
472 Posts
Just to clarify,

If you have an existing CAT5 data line setup as 1000TX base and decided to split it up into multiple 100TX base, the overall data speed for each line is now 100MB/s, correct ?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts