Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Senior Moment
7,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to go look at a solar powered radio repeater for a logging company today. Five miles off the nearest plowed road then a hike up a mountain in knee deep snow. They gave me the use of a skidder and even let me drive. 18" snow, small trees, ditches didn't slow it down but the trail to the top was to steep and narrow. The hike up the mountain sucked, I'm too old and fat for this stuff. Panels and batteries were working fine, radio was dead.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
sweet

·
Senior Moment
7,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That looks funner than sh!t to run but they're working hardwoods in this area with a Cat 312 feller buncher.

·
Registered
13,413 Posts
When I went to high school, we had timber harvesting as a class. Skidders and chainsaws, the class made enough money on the wood we sold to pay for all the equipment, no cost to the school.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,180 Posts
This thread got me side tracked on YouTube watching Caterpillar videos. LoL

·
Senior Moment
7,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That should be a two man job... it could turn "life threatening" in a flash...
Welcome to my daily routine:)
The superintendent of the logging company went with me. Very tight in the skidder cab, they are only designed for one, he was sitting on the right armrest and kept bumping the front blade and dropping it.:laughing:
I carry a satellite phone that to these sites because most of the day I'm out of cell phone range.
My survival kit has a fire starter, emergency blankets, high energy snacks, knife, shoot cord, first aid kit.
This summer we were at a remote site and got hit with a rare small tornado, it took us four hours to go 1 mile cutting blowdowns off the road. Not much is nastier then chainsawing fallen trees by flashlight forty miles from the nearest paved road.
I have tomorrow off but Friday I need to meet a helicopter to fly me to another mountain top, it's really difficult to land in good weather so we will make a few attempts, if we don't make it, we try again next week. Hope never need to break out my survival kit.:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts