Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We started pulling approx 90 250' runs of Cat 6 today. Being my first time pulling the stuff, I gotta say, whatta PITA. I set up multiple boxes and the chit just twists around each other...it didn't make a difference how many boxes were set up (4,7, or 10). I also was surprised how noticeably thicker the cable is as well.

The boss bought some very nice J Hook hangers ($4/hook), but they only hold about 25 cables. Lucky for us, he didn't include the phone/data on the quote...all T&M.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Deep Cover said:
We started pulling approx 90 250' runs of Cat 6 today. Being my first time pulling the stuff, I gotta say, whatta PITA. I set up multiple boxes and the chit just twists around each other...it didn't make a difference how many boxes were set up (4,7, or 10). I also was surprised how noticeably thicker the cable is as well. The boss bought some very nice J Hook hangers ($4/hook), but they only hold about 25 cables. Lucky for us, he didn't include the phone/data on the quote...all T&M.
I'm not sure about you but in canada we are only allowed bundle sizes of 20-25 cables

·
Registered
Master Electrician - Ontario
3,890 Posts
I'm not sure about you but in canada we are only allowed bundle sizes of 20-25 cables
As Chewy stated, cables are normally "bundled" in 24. That is not a rule per se, it is for two reasons...

A majority (if not all) patch panels are 24 port, and
Dressing combs normally hold a max of 24 cables.

There are a number of arguments on the merits of dressing cables now and the trend right now is not to dress in the trays and if required only dress in the vertical cable managers.

Cheers

John Kuehnl-Cadwell

·
Registered
84 Posts
I only pulled that Teflon garbage on my first job I ever did. Luckily for me, that it went out of style after that job. I find that with cat6, every manufacturer does their box different. Some are smooth, some are a pain in the ass to pull out of. Also, I notice if you can bring the boxes in and warm them up overnight, they tend to pull out easier...

·
Spaghetti Cleaner
928 Posts
The job I was on we had Mohawk, usually 12 to 16 runs at a time. It wasn't to bad, pulled out Ok, but certainly didn't lay straight, typical of a reelex wound box.

Had another job that had reels in a box, layed much straighter.

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
The job I was on we had Mohawk, usually 12 to 16 runs at a time. It wasn't to bad, pulled out Ok, but certainly didn't lay straight, typical of a reelex wound box.

Had another job that had reels in a box, layed much straighter.
We had mohawk multicable, cable. 8, 12 core mpos in one cable, nearly impossible to work with.

·
Conservitum Americum
9,058 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.