Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Florida resident
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help from my ET brothers I was checking prices between cat 5 and 6 wow what a difference. My question is what is the difference , the ends look alike and can you use 5 crimp on ends for cat 6 any help as always is appreciated

·
Registered
257 Posts
Cat6 is rated for higher speeds of transfer. No you cannot use 5e ends on 6. For it to be 6 rated, it must be 6 from device to device, including cable, patch cables, patch panel, and jacks. If you put 6 into a 5e patch panel or jack, it will only be rated for 5e.

We use 6 across the board unless spec'd, especially in residential since it will be there for years in a locked-in wall. It's a little different when it's a drop ceiling and you have the option to change.

·
Florida resident
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
triden said:
More copper in cat6 and built to a much higher tolerance. Don't terminate it unless you know what you're doing otherwise you might as just well have used cat5e.
What is unusual about terminating

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
What is unusual about terminating
Okay, one of the flaws with high speed copper wiring is that the high speeds standardized are conducted in highly controlled environments with no flaws.

To achieve maximum speeds with low error in transmission, lots of attention must be paid to the installation and termination of cables. Little minor installation problems, like bending a cat6 cable too tightly can nullify your hundred foot run.

The biggest problem with copper wiring is in order to test your installation you need equipment that can sometimes cost more than a brand new car. Unfortunately, as installers, we have to deal with these problems.

Give this article a read, a lot of it is relevant to cat6 installations:
http://www.lanshack.com/cat5e-tutorial.aspx

My biggest cat6 recommendations:
-no zip ties EVER
-let cables flow without being constricted
-keep the manufacturers twists as close possible to the termination point. Do not untwist when installing a jack
-keep cat6 three feet away from power sources, intersections are undesirable but sometimes unavoidable.

Edit: cat5/cat5e was more forgiving than cat6 in installation practices

·
Registered
826 Posts
FrunkSlammer said:
I would run cat6 on cables if I thought it might transfer video, otherwise cat5e will always be good enough.. if you want to spend more money, spend it on shielding.
How many cameras need more than gigabit? Or even 10/100? POE is based on cat5 spec , cat6 might have more bandwidth, but it don't understand how people feel they NEED cat6 so damn badly. Your backbone is typically fiber anyways.

I haven't installed many 10 gigabit switches lately, so maybe I am out of touch....

·
Registered
168 Posts
cat6 in blanke patch panel makes it a cat5?

I have a jobsite that has cat5 patch panels but those can be pushed out and cat6 in its place.

Cat6 is rated for higher speeds of transfer. No you cannot use 5e ends on 6. For it to be 6 rated, it must be 6 from device to device, including cable, patch cables, patch panel, and jacks. If you put 6 into a 5e patch panel or jack, it will only be rated for 5e.

We use 6 across the board unless spec'd, especially in residential since it will be there for years in a locked-in wall. It's a little different when it's a drop ceiling and you have the option to change.

·
Registered
168 Posts
crimping cable by accident may change its impedance and thus, maximum bandwith. The nic card will also have to retransmit packets that are not recived at the other end.

The cable needs to be secured with velcro. Also, it is a good idea to have the cable cirtified "bert test" with a fluke dx 1800 or more recent tester or other models. my favorite was the Agilent 350 wire scope pro. Got a bid comming up and while I wish I could buy the cable, I do not have the budget for it. I will instead, deal with the ends and then have a seperate company cirtify the cable ends.

Got 165 runs/ends to provide a estimate with.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Cat 6 is a scam by the cable manufacturers to charge a higher price for no added value.

Any (eg ethernet) standard will run on Cat 5e. Most installers and customers have no clue.

Cat 6 is pure BS.

Having said that, I install cat 6 only, because I don't want to waste more time educating, often to no avail.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
crimping cable by accident may change its impedance and thus, maximum bandwith. The nic card will also have to retransmit packets that are not recived at the other end.

The cable needs to be secured with velcro. Also, it is a good idea to have the cable cirtified "bert test" with a fluke dx 1800 or more recent tester or other models. my favorite was the Agilent 350 wire scope pro. Got a bid comming up and while I wish I could buy the cable, I do not have the budget for it. I will instead, deal with the ends and then have a seperate company cirtify the cable ends.

Got 165 runs/ends to provide a estimate with.
Are you a physicist? The remarks re changing impedance and max bandwidth are pure, unsubstantiated, BS.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts

What "higher speeds"? How many more Mbps? You are full of crap and spreading misinformation and preying on ignorance.

Thanks!

·
Registered
257 Posts
rexowner said:
What "higher speeds"? How many more Mbps? You are full of crap and spreading misinformation and preying on ignorance. Thanks!
If you spent half the time you wasted insulting everyone on this thread, you'd know there is a justifiable difference. You're not worth my time to explain. Goodbye.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.