Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a shopvac that has only a CE approval. It is labled to draw 2000 watts (with both motors on) and is hooked up for a 15 amp 120v plug. If my math is correct it should draw no more then 16.667 amps. After i powered it up I find that it is drawing over 20 amps unloaded with both motors on.

Is the CE approval valid in Canada? Im fairly sure the vac was built for 240vac at 50 Hz but was rewired for 120vac 60 Hz (poorly i might add).

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I have a shopvac that has only a CE approval. It is labled to draw 2000 watts (with both motors on) and is hooked up for a 15 amp 120v plug. If my math is correct it should draw no more then 16.667 amps. After i powered it up I find that it is drawing over 20 amps unloaded with both motors on.

Is the CE approval valid in Canada? Im fairly sure the vac was built for 240vac at 50 Hz but was rewired for 120vac 60 Hz (poorly i might add).
no not approved for Canada

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was also told I could get it inspected to get the approval for Canada, but im sure that it is not worth the hassle for a bloody shopvac... Also with it drawing more power then the sticker claims then im certain it wouldnt pass anyways.

Thanks

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
8,223 Posts

CE is a European cert.

Conformité Européene

I'd think it would be designed for 220 or 230 ... whatever those guys use there !

·
Registered
469 Posts
I believe CE is a self-certification hence why it's not seen as valid. I like to call it "China Export" because everything from China has CE on it.
I have seen electronic advertising media from China that was not CSA. It took me about 3 days to make it certifiable. There was no grounding and the wax covering had to be removed because it was flammable. Then it was good to go

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
8,223 Posts
I believe CE is a self-certification hence why it's not seen as valid. I like to call it "China Export" because everything from China has CE on it.
Looks like you're right ... A quick google, and I found this
There is a valid CE ... but a crap load of fakes !

Neither one is approved for Canada anyways :laughing:

Attachments

Reactions: triden

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you really want to use this motor, buy a small step-up transformer locally, it has nothing to do with CE or CSA approval, you can call a site inspection for special purpose. One of my client bought a bunch of Italian made food machine, all of them are CE approved, but he has to do a site inspection fro local ESA.

Tiny Step-Up transformer can be get in locally, suchas Marcus, Delta, TMS or anybody else.

https://www.bulbspro.com/ballasts/commercial-transformer/copper.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts