Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to find and calculate the following with the 2012 CEC code book, but cannot find any charts or tables that can help me. Thank you. Appreciate your responses.

1.) Resistance of particular length of wire for a particular gauge.
2.) Specific resistance at 20 Deg of a particular substance such as copper.
3.) Cross section in circular mils or diameter of a particular gauge.

·
Banned
11,885 Posts
I need to find and calculate the following with the 2012 CEC code book, but cannot find any charts or tables that can help me. Thank you. Appreciate your responses.

1.) Resistance of particular length of wire for a particular gauge.
2.) Specific resistance at 20 Deg of a particular substance such as copper.
3.) Cross section in circular mils or diameter of a particular gauge.
You're not looking hard enough.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need to be able to find this information within the Canadian Electrical code book. I will not have access to the internet. Just the code book. Thanks

·
Banned
11,885 Posts
I need to be able to find this information within the Canadian Electrical code book. I will not have access to the internet. Just the code book. Thanks
Right. You're not looking in the book hard enough. Start at the table of contents and look for "Tables".

·
Super Moderator
6,966 Posts
I don't know your book in particular but if I were looking for that info in any book I'd start at the index, then appendices and then some of the last chapters in the book. That's where that kind of stuff usually is. This assumes you couldn't find it in the table of contents.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right. You're not looking in the book hard enough. Start at the table of contents and look for "Tables".
RePhase277, I have gone through the code book multiply times in search for my answers. If your thinking [Table D3 - Distance to center of distribution for a 1% drop in voltage on nominal 120v 2 conductor copper circuits.] this is not what I am looking for.

·
Banned
11,885 Posts
RePhase277, I have gone through the code book multiply times in search for my answers. If your thinking [Table D3 - Distance to center of distribution for a 1% drop in voltage on nominal 120v 2 conductor copper circuits.] this is not what I am looking for.
If you're at Table D3 you've gone too far. That's in the annexes. My copy of the 2015 CEC has the tables starting on page 299, after the last section.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you're at Table D3 you've gone too far. That's in the annexes. My copy of the 2015 CEC has the tables starting on page 299, after the last section.

RePhase277, I just looked in the 2015 CEC code book too. I don't see any reference to the 3 items I am looking for. You would think it would be obvious, but I am just not seeing it. Can you please tell me where exactly in the 2015?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
??? They give you the 2015 if you write your license there today. I’d hope so considering the 2018 comes out in less than 2 months.

#3 diameter you can get from table 10
Hello eddy current, Table 10 sizing is for conduit and tubing fill calculations. It's dimensions are with the insulation and or jacket.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor, Master/FSR Electrician
641 Posts
IIRC, the CEC does not use this method, and does not reference K values, especially different temperatures, let alone the CMA for different size of conductors.

That being said, the BC Safety Authority does provide VD calculation numbers (K values and CMA), when they require a calculation.

I'm not sure if your code (OEC) has an amendment/addendum that provides this information. Eddy is your guy to ask though.

·
Banned
11,885 Posts
RePhase277, I just looked in the 2015 CEC code book too. I don't see any reference to the 3 items I am looking for. You would think it would be obvious, but I am just not seeing it. Can you please tell me where exactly in the 2015?
I've looked over it and I can't find the properties like resistance listed in the book either. Table D5 does list the cross-sectional area and diameter of stranded wires, but in square mm and mm, not mils. You can just do the conversion manually.

As far as the rest goes, I'll bow out. The Canadians probably know, and there's a ton here. I would refer you to the NEC, which has such a table, but you probably don't have one.

·
Registered
641 Posts
??? They give you the 2015 if you write your license there today. I’d hope so considering the 2018 comes out in less than 2 months.

How long before you think Ontario will adopt it?

I think BC took a full year for the 2015.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I've looked over it and I can't find the properties like resistance listed in the book either. Table D5 does list the cross-sectional area and diameter of stranded wires, but in square mm and mm, not mils. You can just do the conversion manually.

As far as the rest goes, I'll bow out. The Canadians probably know, and there's a ton here. I would refer you to the NEC, which has such a table, but you probably don't have one.
Is that in Chapter 9, Table 8?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
RePhase277, thank you. That's exactly what I needed. Shame on the Canadian Electrical Code (CEC) for not referencing this very basic information in their book. Lets see what the 2018 Code book will contain. Maybe Trump can help us north of the border with that. :)

·
Banned
11,885 Posts
RePhase277, thank you. That's exactly what I needed. Shame on the Canadian Electrical Code (CEC) for not referencing this very basic information in their book. Lets see what the 2018 Code book will contain. Maybe Trump can help us north of the border with that. :)
I'll call him now. I'll also shoot Trudeau a text; he never answers my calls since I drunk dialed him after that Alberta slip up.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts