Electrician Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am confused as to which ampacity table to rely on, CEC or the manufacturer of a specific cable that I would like to use.

CEC Tables do not include values for 262/313/373/444/535/646/777/1111 kcmil flexible cables.

They do however, include these cable sizes in a DLO table on Table 12E.

What it seems, however, is that the DLO table is strictly for cables marked DLO, which typically have insulation rated at no more than 90degC.

However, there are these same cable sizes in non-DLO cable, RW90 XLPE cable such as seen on the link below for Draka Bostrig cables.

https://www.ecswire.com/products/specs/oil_rig_cables

So it brings me to my point- as CEC doesnt have ampacity charts for these cables, is it sufficient enough to rely on manufacturer's datasheet, while observing proper temperature derates?

That being said, the MFR datasheet gives ampacities based on 45degC Ambient/ 95/100/110degC Insulation, and I dont really know what derates they have applied, so I have to stick with their values, than apply Table 5A from CEC.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should also add, the cable that I am looking at specifically is part number BR444-01C or the SP2KV(HD)-444 single conductor cable.

·
Registered
826 Posts
eddy current said:
I would use the manufacturer's spec but also check and make sure your inspector is happy with it before ordering.
Manufacture spec trumps minimum code. If the product is csa or ulc approved, it will meet or exceed minimum code. It would have only been approved according to spec. If the inspector questions it, have the spec sheet handy and show him you covered all of your bases.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.