Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
400.14 is one of those great practical rules that doesn't seem to exist in the CEC.

We design and install cabling on large mobile machines with energy chains or flexible points, and you often have to mount the JB that the flexible cables enter a few meters from the end of the chain (the JB has flexible cables going in, and TECK cables going out).

On US jobs, it's fine. 400.14 basically gives you 15m whereby you can put the flexible cables in tray to protect them in order to get them into the JB.
These are very high quality cables with appropriate derating and properly protected from mechanical damage on an uninhabited piece of industrial machinery.

In CEC there seems to be no direct provision for this. It literally makes designing the machine strictly to code virtually impossible.

It's an industrial machine, outside, and the cables are way more robust than most "TC" cable. The whole scenario just makes no sense to me.

In a building I understand the need for flame ratings but in this case I don't really see it, especially for 10 feet.

This seems so unreasonable I feel like maybe there's a workaround I'm missing. We have only done a couple machines in Canada, and both times the consulting engineer for the site has complained. The inspector OK'd them in both cases but I think that's just luck. If we got a hardass engineer and a hardass inspector I think life could become difficult.

·
Registered
Electrician & Electronics Technologist
1,255 Posts
I'd have to think about it a bit more, but I don't think there is anything strictly saying you can't do that. As long as the cable is protected, properly bonded, etc etc... I don't see why it would be an issue.

Did the engineer tell you which code rules it is in violation of?

I've found a few times that the CEC doesn't address flexible cable very clearly in industrial machine settings. At the same time, I've never seen an inspector say anything about a sensible installation where the cable was installed in a way that it was safe, protected, and generally just following good practices.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd have to think about it a bit more, but I don't think there is anything strictly saying you can't do that. As long as the cable is protected, properly bonded, etc etc... I don't see why it would be an issue.

Did the engineer tell you which code rules it is in violation of?

I've found a few times that the CEC doesn't address flexible cable very clearly in industrial machine settings. At the same time, I've never seen an inspector say anything about a sensible installation where the cable was installed in a way that it was safe, protected, and generally just following good practices.

I tend to agree, it really just isn't addressed well, and the couple times we've run into the inspector has been ok.

Here's the relevant code reference:

12-2202 Conductors in cable trays (see Appendix B)

(1) Conductors for use in cabletrays shall be as listed in Table 19 and, except as permitted in Subrules (2)
and (3), shall have a continuous metal sheath or interlocking armour.

(2) Type TC tray cable shall be permitted in cable trays in areas of industrial establishments that are inaccessible to the public, provided that the cable is
(a) installed in conduit, other suitable raceway, or direct buried, when not in cable tray;
(b) provided with mechanical protection where subject to damage either during or after installation;
(c) no smaller than No. 1/0 AWG if a single conductor is used; and
(d) installed only where qualified persons service the installation.

(3) Conductors having moisture-resistant insulation and flame-tested non-metal coverings or sheaths of a type listed in Table 19 shall be permitted in ventilated or non-ventilated cable trays where not subject to damage
during or after installation in
(a) electrical equipment vaults and service rooms; and
(b) other locations that are inaccessible to the public and are constructed as a service room where a deviation has been allowed in accordance with Rule 2-030.

So basically, if it's not armored, and not Type TC, you're stuck unless you try to claim (3) but the machine's not really a service room...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.