Electrician Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever had a problem with an inspector running an insulated ground to the water main in a house through wood studs?

Drywalled ceiling.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
Never done it in a house but I have run the ground through the wood studs and behind the drywall on commercial construction. Never been an issue.

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,062 Posts
Never run an insulated ground, just bare, but regardless, never had a problem.
What's the suspector questioning?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heat, almost like a Romex above at bar ceiling - like its not plenum rated. But the ceiling isn't an air duct or anything.

·
Electrical Contractor
5,062 Posts
Is he looking for FT6 rating or what?
if its a house and you are not running inside the cold air joist lined plenum, whats the problem?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wcord said:
Is he looking for FT6 rating or what? if its a house and you are not running inside the cold air joist lined plenum, whats the problem?
Exactly.

·
Electrical Contractor
5,062 Posts
Here in MB, rule 12-010 has been relaxed to allow residential wiring to cross thru a plenum if it is constructed of combustible material, ie a joist lined plenum. Your guy is an idiot

Reactions: Hmacanada

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wcord said:
Here in MB, rule 12-010 has been relaxed to allow residential wiring to cross thru a plenum if it is constructed of combustible material, ie a joist lined plenum. Your guy is an idiot
Ok I'll call him an idiot tomorrow and hopefully everything goes smoothly.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmacanada said:
Is it coming in contact with the heat runs for duct work?
No. And if it was I would have separation/insulation in between as if it were a Romex.

·
Electrical Contractor
5,062 Posts
Ok I'll call him an idiot tomorrow and hopefully everything goes smoothly.
Let us know how well that turns out. rotf

·
Registered
Master Electrician - Ontario
3,639 Posts
Anyone ever had a problem with an inspector running an insulated ground to the water main in a house through wood studs?

Drywalled ceiling.
No I have not, but I know exactly where this is going. Use bare and you won't have any issues where it is run. Might be less expensive also.

Cheers

John

John Kuehnl-Cadwell

·
Registered
798 Posts
Most insulated wires do not have a flame spread rating and must be installed in a raceway if in a plenum or bare.
For buildings of combustible construction wires must be at least FT-1 with telephone and data wiring at least FT-4 if in a plenum.

non combustible buildings the asme is FT-4 and FT-6 for the data and tel.

any insulated wire must have at least FT-1 for combustible construction, in a raceway of at least ft-4 or metal, or bare. Note that I do not think that PVC or ENT raceways are FT-1 but FT-4
That Most EI probably do not catch the insulated ground wire I would say this inspector is looking pretty close.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts