Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running a power cable to a trailer which table is used? The rule 4-012 talks about flexible cord and rule 4-040 talks about portable power cable but both point to 2 different tables for cable size, Table 12 and 12A. The code doesn't implicitly state that Table 12A has to be used to run power out to a trailer. I could as easily choose table 12 which would give me a different size. What's the different between cord and cable definition?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes but if I need 100A at the trailer (Custom trailer for environmental study) Table 12 doesn't have the ampacity. I need to refer to table 12A. Which in this case I need a 2KV cable number 4 AWG to carry the required current.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Yeah but you gotta figure out what kind of cable you need to use first... you're sort of going backwards saying you need 100A and then finding a random cable that will do 100A.

If it was me, I would just run ACWU... though I don't really know the details of this trailer or it's usage.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Yeah but you gotta figure out what kind of cable you need to use first... you're sort of going backwards saying you need 100A and then finding a random cable that will do 100A.

If it was me, I would just run ACWU... though I don't really know the details of this trailer or it's usage.

Be far more cost effective as frunk said . A cord set for 100 amp would be pricey

Sent from my iPhone using electriciantalk.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, but this trail needs to be mobile and the operators have to be able to roll up a 100' of this cable. ACWU is cheaper but around 600 LBS for the size to carry 100A. My only concern is table 12A tells me I could use #4 AWG to carry 100A and if I use teck I would have to bump it up to #3 as stated in table 2. Why does table 12A let me carry more current? Is it because of the 2KV rating of the cable?

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
C'mon, 600lbs?

1km of 3C#1 is 890kg and there's 3280ft in 1km. So that's more like 27kg or 60lbs. I've picked up easily over 100ft of massive ACWU and it was frickin heavy, but lets be realistic here.

Just sounds like you really wanna use some super heavy and expensive flexible power cable.. that's cool too!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.