Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, this is my first post and i a,m pretty exited about using this Forum.

CEC Table 39 shows the size of conductors for residential service.
CEC Table 5E, which is not printed in the CEC 2015 but in the STANDATA, seems to have the exact same info.

Can someone help me clarify the different purposes of both tables?

Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
Hey guys, this is my first post and i a,m pretty exited about using this Forum.

CEC Table 39 shows the size of conductors for residential service.
CEC Table 5E, which is not printed in the CEC 2015 but in the STANDATA, seems to have the exact same info.

Can someone help me clarify the different purposes of both tables?
Haven't heard of 5E ... must be an Alberta thing.
Hold tight, one of the western guys will be along :thumbsup:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats the one NDC
it refers to 4-004 (22) which is now 4-004 (23) in the CEC 2015. An it does in fact send us to Table 39.
A Code teacher had told me 2 years ago, after CEC2015 was implemented here in AB, that it was supposed to be printed but didnt make it!
It looks like T-39 is the one to follow now i guess!?

Banned
Here I have just been using table 4 (90c) all this time for resi services and sub panels. I didn't even know table 39 existed. I think I should do an in depth refresher course on the next code book.

So much to learn!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NormousD,
rule of thumbs is to use the 75 degree column now. The conductors temperature is based on the devices it is connected to now. This is to be more like the NEC.

Banned
NormousD,
rule of thumbs is to use the 75 degree column now. The conductors temperature is based on the devices it is connected to now. This is to be more like the NEC.
Thanks, I thought something weird and drastic changed like that because the amperages for the lower size wires changed too substantial. Used to be table 2 #14 @ 90C was 15 amps, now the buggers say it's 25 amps!

I'll take a refresher course on the next release after they make even more totally useful changes.

How much equipment do you install rated 90掳?
I have no idea what anything is rated, I just install approved equipment.

Fortunate for me, that Table 39 seems to be in line with using Table 4 at 90c...

Example 100 amp: Service or subfeed Table 39 says use #2 AL, while #2AL in Table 4 says 90 amp at 75C but 100 amp at 90C.

Example 200 amp: Service or subfeed Table 39 says use #4/0 AL, while #4/0AL in Table 4 says only 180 amp at 75C but 205 amp at 90C.

I may have been doing it wrong, but coming up with the right wire! :laughing:

Registered
Thanks, I thought something weird and drastic changed like that because the amperages for the lower size wires changed too substantial. Used to be table 2 #14 @ 90C was 15 amps, now the buggers say it's 25 amps!

I'll take a refresher course on the next release after they make even more totally useful changes.

I have no idea what anything is rated, I just install approved equipment.

Fortunate for me, that Table 39 seems to be in line with using Table 4 at 90c...

Example 100 amp: Service or subfeed Table 39 says use #2 AL, while #2AL in Table 4 says 90 amp at 75C but 100 amp at 90C.

Example 200 amp: Service or subfeed Table 39 says use #4/0 AL, while #4/0AL in Table 4 says only 180 amp at 75C but 205 amp at 90C.

I may have been doing it wrong, but coming up with the right wire! :laughing:
T 39 depends on single family dwelling or sub feed of multi dwelling!!! If the house has a suite then T 39 doesn't apply for main service supply...you use T2 or T 4 so 200amp service that has a suite you use T4 for Aluminum and says 250 mcm...

Light Bender
plumber
There are changes coming for t-39 in 2018. I remember something about having to label the panel with the calculated load or something like that?

I have a update coming up, will post any changes I hear about as They come

Banned
There are changes coming for t-39 in 2018. I remember something about having to label the panel with the calculated load or something like that?

I have a update coming up, will post any changes I hear about as They come
Will the madness ever cease? In the future, the stickers will take up more room than the panel.

Banned
"Calculated load"... the one thing all electricians can definitely agree on. :laughing:

Instead of relying on Wire Pullers to do mathematical word problems incorrectly, why not just require that a 200amp service be able to provide 200amps? :blink:

Reactions: eddy current
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.