Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a Hunter Model 3 ceiling fan. It came with a remote control. There are quite a few wires that connect to the module inside the canopy.

I currently have a fan/speed and light combo switch installed that I want to use for this fan. It seems this fan is designed to only used the remote, with a simple disconnect switch; not a fan/speed light combo.

It their a way to wire this fan using the fan/speed light combo switch rather than the remote?

Has anybody had this problem before and have any recommendations?

Thank you.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,561 Posts
Many of the fans have a remote handheld but you can buy a wall remote as in the Minka Fans

Reactions: chicken steve

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
929 Posts
How many wires come from the fan to the receiver, and what colors? Does the remote have a reverse function?

If the run cap for the motor is in the fan housing somewhere, it's easy to forgo the remote. If it's in the receiver you have to do some reverse engineering and either mount a reverse switch somewhere or lose the reverse switch.

I HATE ceiling fan remotes.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
I just hate ceiling fans entirely.

Unfortunately they're great money makers because people either love them and put them up everywhere or people hate them and take them down everywhere.

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
929 Posts
I love them entirely. Love love love them. I cringe when people take them down.

Then again, 99% of what they sell now is complete and utter junk.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
This would be a typical arrangement, although others exist>

according to our 210.70 as well as our 210.70 A 2 ex. provisions for dwelling units, we are too install 3ways for stairs, but a 'remote' can be used.

Often , as is the case, the lighting lady, HO or whatever :censored:butinski faction will introduce a fan/light

The light element in the fan being required for the stairwell, and operated off the switching already installed

Now that a remote is foisted upon the job, either 3W becomes subject to it's presence. A rather ineffective scenario seeing as most folks can't keep track of their TV remote when the room IS lit , imho...

comments?

~CS~

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
I love them entirely. Love love love them. I cringe when people take them down.

Then again, 99% of what they sell now is complete and utter junk.
Indeed, and every out of state 2nd home owner just has to install them 30' up in their skibunny A frames , usually taking us 3 sets of staging to just change a bulb

AND the most sensitive piece of equipment IS the receiver , installed in the cup @ the roof line

Just what is the most susceptible area of an A frame in a lightning storm?

yeppers ! this is why we DON"T sell lighting!.....:thumbsup:

~CS~

·
Banned
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,456 Posts
If the fan itself has only two leads coming out the stem you are jacked and it is sort of a dead end for you. If the fan has three leads coming out of the stem, then you can substitute the remote as long as you run a three wire cable to your switch. So what was the question again?

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Whether he can forgo the remote on a unit that comes with one Mac

I'm wondering if , given a 3wire as you've mentioned, the remote can be used JUST for the fan, and NOT the light.....

~CS~

·
Banned
33,456 Posts
Whether he can forgo the remote on a unit that comes with one Mac

I'm wondering if , given a 3wire as you've mentioned, the remote can be used JUST for the fan, and NOT the light.....

~CS~
I have done that many times. Or dispensed with them altogether and used a dual fan/ speed wall switch.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
chicken steve said:
Whether he can forgo the remote on a unit that comes with one Mac I'm wondering if , given a 3wire as you've mentioned, the remote can be used JUST for the fan, and NOT the light..... ~CS~
. Any fan I've ever installed that comes with a remote / receiver combo. , the receiver is external to the fan , like the aftermarket ones you can buy . If that's the case , simply don't wire in the receiver and hard wire directly to the fan with you're separate fan and light switch legs . If the receiver is " built - in " I'm sure it can still be bypassed , but you may end up taking more of the fan apart ?

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
. Any fan I've ever installed that comes with a remote / receiver combo. , the receiver is external to the fan , like the aftermarket ones you can buy . If that's the case , simply don't wire in the receiver and hard wire directly to the fan with you're separate fan and light switch legs . If the receiver is " built - in " I'm sure it can still be bypassed , but you may end up taking more of the fan apart ?

and what do you do when the fan doesn't have pullchains and the reversing switch is built into the remote?

·
Banned
33,456 Posts
Try that with a $900 dollar Casseblanca sp) and you will be spending another $900 again for one that you can use the two new remotes you now own on..

You need a sledge hammer and a Lennox sawsall blade to access the guts...

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
macmikeman said:
Try that with a $900 dollar Casseblanca sp) and you will be spending another $900 again for one that you can use the two new remotes you now own on.. You need a sledge hammer and a Lennox sawsall blade to access the guts...
if I spent $ 900.00 on a fan , I wouldn't be modifying anything on it , lol . If it didn't meet the homeowners expectations , it can always go back to the store .

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
drspec said:
and what do you do when the fan doesn't have pullchains and the reversing switch is built into the remote?
. Nothing , since I've never installed a high dollar fan with these features , lol ! But if a customer bought a fan with those features , I wouldn't bypass anything . This fan will only work off of this remote , so if that's not ok , you need to get a different fan . Pretty simple really .

·
Banned
549 Posts
Yeah, this whole thing is something that I HATE having to explain to the customer.

The remote receiver only has a two wire input, but a 3 wire output. So you can't use the separate wall switches for fan and light while also using the remote. The customer never understands.

The other thing I hate about the fans is how the box says "5 Minute installation!!" when in reality it takes 5 minutes just to get the parts out of the box. 35 minutes later when you are finished the customer thinks you didn't know what you were doing :laughing:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts