Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best device/gadget and techniques to use in the following situation:
Ceiling fan to be installed outdoors in a porch area, in the slope of the roof rafters. Originally the rafters were covered with 3/8" plywood and then later covered with typical vinyl siding, roof slope is about 5/12.
What I would like to do is cut a 4" hole with a hole saw and then feed the device through and be able to fasten it in without having to do any patching etc.
I thought I remembered seeing brackets that would do what was described, feed them through the hole and then use a ratchet to wedge them in place.
Thanks everyone!

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
And no matter what you will get your butt chewed out big time around here if you have that thing rotating in less than thirty minutes.

Oh, there are a couple of kitties here that will begrudgingly allow 15 minutes of travel time and tool unpack time.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
i use the ones with the bar you put into the hole and screw into thr joists. in this case though i would cut a circle out of the vinyl and use a fancake box just drill out the plywood enough to fish thru

·
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone!
Here's what I wound up using because that's what Home Depot had:

It's similar to some of y'all's recommendations and worked well enough. Instead of 3/8" plywood under the vinyl there was 1/2" Sheetrock?! While in the in-laws attic I saw this:

Who needs a hole saw when you've got a hammer!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.