Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The issue is the ceiling fan motor is still receiving power despite the power not even connected to the motor.

Link to the ceiling fan I am installing:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Harbor-Bre...Ceiling-Fan-with-Light-Kit-5-Blade/1001047278

I started by ensuring my switch is setup properly. Here is a video of how it is wired:

I thought the issue was with my wiring so I have double and triple checked from many sources that it is in fact setup correctly.

Then I thought it could be an issue with the actual wire in the wall maybe leaking power or something.

So I completely disconnected the hot from the fan so the fan motor has no power (only the light load/ground/neutral is connected from 14-3 power source) and I am still getting the same issue where the fan is still barely working when the light is on, and the FAN pull chain is controlling the light and causing it to dim high, medium, low, off (but this is not supposed to be a feature of this fan)

Here is a video of the symptoms:

I called support for the fan they told me I should exchange it. But I truly want to make sure it's an issue with the fan and not something with the wiring before I go through all that work.

·
Super Moderator
7,737 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. However, working with electricity and electrical systems can be unsafe if not done by a professional licensed electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional electrician in your area. If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your needs. Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to Register We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.