Reactions: randas

·
HTTR
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Bad idea IMO. Nutone 9093WH is a fan/light/ heater that is listed for over a shower but it must be gfci protected

http://www.nutone.com/products/product/94825119-2ac2-4332-ad48-26867766d73f
Got one in my bathroom. Kinda collects dust from all the moisture. Heater started making a lot of noise. Time to clean it I guess. Shoe salesman's kids go without I guess. Last thing I want to do when I get home from work is do electrical. Thanks for the reminder. Like my honey do list wasn't long enough. I think you can get heat lamps instead, but it seams dangerous to have an open lamp above the shower IMO.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
I suggested putting one right outside the shower footprint, but the homeowner wants it in the space. Its pretty big about 5'X5' shower stall with 9' ceiling
Then suggest 2. Or 3. What about those electric heaters I see outdoors IFO hotel entrances? Surely they're listed for damp locations?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Most of these heaters are listed for damp locations, but PER MANUFACTURER INSTRUCTIONS, they are not intended for installation over a tub or shower. Why? I don't know. But that is per the manufacturer. Rust/deterioration maybe?

But you CAN install something like a Panasonic Whisperwarm right outside of the enclosure, and they have enough force to heat up the shower area.

I don't understand why you would want a heater inside the actual shower enclosure though.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,520 Posts
Reactions: svh19044

·
HTTR
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
here is one of the reviews on that heat lamp

NOT FOR ABOVE SHOWERS OR TUBS
By Jim S.
from Frederick, Md
About Me Avid Do-It-Yourselfer

Pros

• None
Cons

• Not For Wet Or Damp Areas
  • Not Rated For Wet Or Damp
Best Uses

• Outside Showers Or Tubs

Comments about Shower Lighting Heat Lamp Recessed Lighting Fixture:
The ad from homeclick states the unit can be used above tubs and showers but it can't. The Progress website and the installation instruction specifically say it can't be used over showers or tubs.

It was a Home Advisor lead anyway, I was the first to call him back and recommended that we install a heater in the ceiling just outside the shower. He probably got 3 "screened pros" to call him back. I wouldn't be surprised if theres a 2' baseboard in the shower by now:laughing:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.