Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How to 'deal with' the sprayed on insulation, on ceiling deck above drop ceilings, when shooting up ceiling wire ? Enough space has to be cleared of the insulation for each Hilti shot to be shot up with Hilti pole gun. Otherwise the insulation will prevent the nail from securely fastening/anchoring the ceiling wire to the ceiling. How to handily remove the insulation from spots to receive ceiling wire, considering that the above-drop-ceiling spaces are typically croweded enough with pipes, ducts, etc, and the ceiling deck is high enough to be out of easy reach?

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Shove a piece of pipe up there to cut out a cylinder of insulation? That'd have to be like a 2" pipe though......

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
We just slam the pole gun up hard into the fire proofing and it works fine, until the gun jambs up with crud.

It is rough on the gun and we have killed vipers on one job, it is still worth while though.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
One other thing to consider is the possibility of a back charge for the re-application of the fire-proofing if the building inspector decides to get "technical".

Pete

Reactions: BBQ

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I'd probably just wrap them by hand unless it was just too far up. I'd be wary of scraping the insulation off. Of course...coulda/woulda/shoulda had 'em up already...

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Pete m. said:
One other thing to consider is the possibility of a back charge for the re-application of the fire-proofing if the building inspector decides to get "technical".

Pete
I've had this happen, had to go back and fill in around every spot, which sucks

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've had this happen, had to go back and fill in around every spot, which sucks
First big job I was on back when I was very green that is all I did for about 3 weeks. 5 story building patching holes the other guys made. made me question my career path!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
90Deg.bend said:
First big job I was on back when I was very green that is all I did for about 3 weeks. 5 story building patching holes the other guys made. made me question my career path!
Haha yep they made us mix up the dry stuff and smear it on by hand. Sucked pretty hard

1 - 8 of 8 Posts