Electrician Talk banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Retired Account
39,722 Posts
Having been privy to the desires of lighting designers , 'center' vs, 'symmetry' is always a consideration.

For instance, centering a chandelier in a bay window vs. a room

Or worse, the old furniture (grand piano, long table) specific lighting debacle.

~CS~

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
Poor man's method - mark your first and last fixtures on the floor, pull a string between the two and then use your laser plumb. Laser plumbs are cheap; rotaries are not.

This is true, but some of us also work on finished ceilings.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Tripod? I just set it on the floor. I mark both ends on the ceiling and then align the laser with those 2 marks. BAM! Nice perfectly straight line, done in less than 2 minutes.

I don't use a tripod. In construction/renos I'll set it on the floor or screw it to a stud with that magnetic attachment to adjust up and down freely. In finish work, I still put it on the floor for ceiling work or I set it on stuff to get the height I want for wall work. It's self levelling, why bother with a tripod?
I'll try without the tripod. The reason I got the tripod is for kitchen layouts, we can get all the countertop receps the same. A lot of the kitchen remodels we do get tile backsplashes and being off even 1/8" will show. Sometimes the floor is off a lot from one end of the kitchen to the other.

Before I had the tripod we would just set it somewhere like you do and measure from that line and snap a line, the tripod just makes it easier to center the laser on the top screw hole of the box. This way when using more than one type of box/p ring they are always exact.

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
I'll try without the tripod. The reason I got the tripod is for kitchen layouts, we can get all the countertop receps the same. A lot of the kitchen remodels we do get tile backsplashes and being off even 1/8" will show. Sometimes the floor is off a lot from one end of the kitchen to the other.

Before I had the tripod we would just set it somewhere like you do and measure from that line and snap a line, the tripod just makes it easier to center the laser on the top screw hole of the box. This way when using more than one type of box/p ring they are always exact.
A tripod for horizontal lines is a winner. Adjusting it up and down is a breeze, adjusting it on a three dimensional plane, not so much.

·
Banned
7,230 Posts
For counter receptacles, I just screw that magnetic base plate into a stud on the other side of the room somewhere. I put it roughly where I want the laser to shoot, then it can slide up and down freely.. probably about 4" of free adjustment.

I have yet come across a situation where I needed a tripod.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts