Electrician Talk banner

Centering a Light Fixture

8K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  Nobaddaysinak 
#1 ·
Hey, I'm just wondering how to center a ceiling mounted light fixture. Do you just use a tape measure to mark where the anchors should be and hope that it's close enough? Or is there a more precise method?

#9 · (Edited)
Go get yourself a nice laser plumb. Have the client put the table where they want it, use painters tape on the table and mark center, then put the laser there and mark it with a pencil on the ceiling. If it's a row, we use the cross line laser levels that get a nice straight line on the ceiling after marking on the floor or countertop.

As far as anchors, are you referring to something like a track light? If so, the line laser levels are great for that too, same idea as multiple fixtures.

1980 want's their tool back.

#6 ·
What anchors??? What kind of fixture is this? We measure with a tape or if it is a high vaulted ceiling we use a laser. If it needs to be precise then be careful on vaulted ceiling because the center of the box is not necessarily the center of where the fixture hangs from. We just did one in a hall and had to center it on the door. The fixture loop was about an inch off center so the box had to be off center in order for the light to be centered.

#13 ·
The first time I ran into an issue with centering was a space that was 54" between 2 walls on a sloped ceiling. They wanted a 52" fan installed there so I measured the center but did not take into account the bracket for the fan that sticks down an inch or more. Put up the fan and it was touching one wall. Fortunately I was able to fudge it enough to keep it centered. 1" is not a lot of play and granted this was an unusual situation

#18 ·
I use that one too, and a laser plumb besides. One thing I can't seem to figure out is a quick way to project a line on the ceiling between two measured points, like to lay out a row of cans. It takes so much fussing and moving the tripod around I finally gave up and went back to a chalk line.

#19 ·
Joefixit2 said:
I use that one too, and a laser plumb besides. One thing I can't seem to figure out is a quick way to project a line on the ceiling between two measured points, like to lay out a row of cans. It takes so much fussing and moving the tripod around I finally gave up and went back to a chalk line.
DeWalt rotary laser with remote to adjust line. I shoot the line of cans, mark centers on the ground, then spot laser to set the can.

#21 ·
Having been privy to the desires of lighting designers , 'center' vs, 'symmetry' is always a consideration.

For instance, centering a chandelier in a bay window vs. a room

Or worse, the old furniture (grand piano, long table) specific lighting debacle.

~CS~

#28 ·
For counter receptacles, I just screw that magnetic base plate into a stud on the other side of the room somewhere. I put it roughly where I want the laser to shoot, then it can slide up and down freely.. probably about 4" of free adjustment.

I have yet come across a situation where I needed a tripod.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.