Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was doing a job near Erie, PA this past week and of course I managed to stop at Home Depot on the trip. :laughing: I noticed they carry Cerro NM cable there instead of the Southwire Simpull that they carry at the New England stores. :confused1: What brand of NM cable do they carry in your area?

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Southwire. The Cerro isn't that bad though. I have only ever installed 14-3 Cerro though, so I can't comment on their other sizes.

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rope is rope

I never pay attention to the brand I buy.
Not so, if you ever have the displeasure of using Encore or Colonial NM cable, you would think otherwise. There is definitely a difference between the old stuff and slick jacket.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Not so, if you ever have the displeasure of using Encore or Colonial NM cable, you would think otherwise. There is definitely a difference between the old stuff and slick jacket.
I've used the colonial before. I agree the jacket is stiffer but I still don't pay attention to what rope I buy. I just grab some coils and go.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Encore is crap. Pulls like hammered dog sh*t and the sheath is really weak.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Simpull pulls easier and the conductors themselves are easier to strip. The Cerro wire stuff has awful conductors, half the time I strip them the nylon jacket starts to peel off from the strip point down. The outer jacket isn't to bad just no as slick.

Colonial flex is like working with hard rubber, something I stay clear when pulling long runs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Cerro I believe was the brand that had sequential foot markings printed on it. Made it great for service work and knowing how much wire was used, but for long runs alongside another wire, it was more of a challenge.

·
Homer to Jebus
Electron Flow Consultant
837 Posts
Cerro for me. They were the ones who provided all the imperfect wire for apprentice school practice. Made in Business Depot Ogden. :thumbup:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Out HD carries Southwire, but we get ours delivered from the supply house. They send a mix of different brands, but when we get a delivery, I find the SIMpull, and hoard it on my truck. It's light-years beyond Encore or Colonial.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts