Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever put cfl's in a sign to replace the ho lamps and ballasts. I have a sign that's 8 feet by 3 feet and it needs a new everything. I'm thinking of putting 3 rows of lights about 18 inches apart. WAG method at this point. 18 lamps and maybe use the 250 watt equivalent and a bunch of keyless. It'd be nice to get a premade something or the other like a work light string but I'd rather it be mounted solidly.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
CFL's don't like to be in an enclosed situation with out good ventilation,
if you do, they will suffer from short lifespan.

But otherwise, if they do have good ventilation, then using 48w CFL's
should be ok, lifespan depends on quality of the lamps.

I have used 48w CFL's in a commercial lighting application,
they are well ventilated and I have had NO problems thus far !

knock on wood !

Try it out, and see !

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
CFL's don't like to be in an enclosed situation with out good ventilation,
if you do, they will suffer from short lifespan.

But otherwise, if they do have good ventilation, then using 48w CFL's
should be ok, lifespan depends on quality of the lamps.

I have used 48w CFL's in a commercial lighting application,
they are well ventilated and I have had NO problems thus far !

knock on wood !

Try it out, and see !
I second that. Try leds but still if small and enclosed enough it will overheat.

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
Anyone ever put cfl's in a sign to replace the ho lamps and ballasts. I have a sign that's 8 feet by 3 feet and it needs a new everything. I'm thinking of putting 3 rows of lights about 18 inches apart. WAG method at this point. 18 lamps and maybe use the 250 watt equivalent and a bunch of keyless. It'd be nice to get a premade something or the other like a work light string but I'd rather it be mounted solidly.
Why would you use CFLs for this?

Rebuild it with what it had or use sign LEDs like sign companies do. Don't try to reinvent the wheel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.