Electrician Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

I'm a newbie and just wanted to ask if anyone knows a good study guide for the basic level trade school. I'm looking to get an apprenticeship since I'm just finishing up an energy system engineering course at college and I wanted to have something to show employers I'm serious.

As a side note- how important is it to get fall arrest and whimis before applying to jobs? I have been applying to apprentice positions since I started my program and was wondering if not having these certs would stop me getting a position.

Thanks for the help

Stuart

·
Registered
313 Posts
welcome !, I am a 3rd term apprentice, I got hired with no field experience , keep calling places and emailing resumes, thats what will get you a good gig !!

as for whimis and fall arrest, I would maybe get your whimis and if you get a good employer they might cover , or at least help with the cost, I recall my lift and fall arrest training being close to 225

·
Registered
207 Posts
Get the code book... That will be your bible...your 309a exam will be based on it ...
Way back when I started my foreman used to tell me to keep the code book in the washroom at home and everytime I went for a crap to read it
As for whmis and fall arrest if your gonna be joining IBEW they will take care of that and I don't know about the non-union side if they'll pay or you will but ministry of labour requires those two certificates...

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
Hello everyone

I'm a newbie and just wanted to ask if anyone knows a good study guide for the basic level trade school. I'm looking to get an apprenticeship since I'm just finishing up an energy system engineering course at college and I wanted to have something to show employers I'm serious.

As a side note- how important is it to get fall arrest and whimis before applying to jobs? I have been applying to apprentice positions since I started my program and was wondering if not having these certs would stop me getting a position.

Thanks for the help

Stuart
Welcome aboard....:thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.