Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my boss decided to put 3/4 in plywood underneath lift so the junction box is even with Sheetrock. Well, now they decided to add a medallion. Is this going to create a problem?

·
Registered
163 Posts
most medallions taper down in the middle and leave a space for the "cup" of the light fixture. I would think you would just need a longer fixture rod & longer screws

·
Registered
196 Posts
I don't know what kind of lift you're using, but we use Aladdin lifts, and there's plenty of adjustment to lower the box for varying celling thicknesses. The box is usually mounted to a price of 1/2" emt that fits inside of a price of 3/4". The support cable runs right through the box/pipe assembly.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bmailman20 said:
I don't know what kind of lift you're using, but we use Aladdin lifts, and there's plenty of adjustment to lower the box for varying celling thicknesses. The box is usually mounted to a price of 1/2" emt that fits inside of a price of 3/4". The support cable runs right through the box/pipe assembly.
yea it is the Aladdin lift...

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Elephante said:
yea it is the Aladdin lift...
just make sure the opening in the medallion is wide enough for the connection to be made . The aladdin lift can be adjusted so you should be able to get the box to the desired height.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Next72969 said:
just make sure the opening in the medallion is wide enough for the connection to be made . The aladdin lift can be adjusted so you should be able to get the box to the desired height.
The Aladdin lifts have a round fiberglass circuit board that acts a commutator on the end of the cable. It is connected to the chandelier wires and makes contact with a set of brushes inside the fixture box - which in turn is connected to the switch leg. That has to be properly adjusted for the overall finished thickness. You also have to install a collar lower the box so as not to expose the medallion to any possible arcing.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Nukie Poo said:
The Aladdin lifts have a round fiberglass circuit board that acts a commutator on the end of the cable. It is connected to the chandelier wires and makes contact with a set of brushes inside the fixture box - which in turn is connected to the switch leg. That has to be properly adjusted for the overall finished thickness. You also have to install a collar lower the box so as not to expose the medallion to any possible arcing.
thank you for making my post more technical :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nukie Poo said:
yea I'm afraid that is what is going to happen.there is about an inch gap between medallion and metal box.. I'm going to have to lower the box even with medallion. The sucky thing is that lift is in a tight spot in attic...oh well...

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Yeah, the 1/2" EMT has a set screw, loosen it and lower the conduit until the box is flush with the bottom of the medallion.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Magnettica said:
Yeah, the 1/2" EMT has a set screw, loosen it and lower the conduit until the box is flush with the bottom of the medallion.
When I lower it, is the counter weight going to be in the way ? Don't remember if it hangs down low enough...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts