Electrician Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks, I am new to this site and thread. Maybe one of you can advise me. The light fixture over the dining room table stopped working and I took it all apart and replaced a 3 wired pull chain switch that protruded from the fixture. How do I rewire it correctly? The fixture has 8 electric low watt candle bulbs plus a standard light bulb in the bottom.

The power source has the standard black and white wires ( plus bare ground) connected up to all the lights wired through the pull switch which has 3 wires colored red, black and blue.

I know about black to black but where does the red wire and the blue wire go? The switch has 3 positions -- all lights off, candles on only, and all candles plus standard bulb on. I tried putting the red with the white, the blue with black with the result that the candles went on, the off position kept the lights off but when I pulled the chain a third time I blackened the wall outlet with a nice sized spark. What did I do wrong? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
You got the wrong switch, take it out and bring it back. You got the three phase switch, you need the single phase switch which will have a black, white, and green!

·
Registered
4 Posts
You need a 3 phase double pole/double throw switch. If you're shopping at Home Depot you need to ask for them. They keep them in the back. A real supply house should have some on display near the counter.

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Hello folks, I am new to this site and thread. Maybe one of you can advise me. The light fixture over the dining room table stopped working and I took it all apart and replaced a 3 wired pull chain switch that protruded from the fixture. How do I rewire it correctly? The fixture has 8 electric low watt candle bulbs plus a standard light bulb in the bottom.

The power source has the standard black and white wires ( plus bare ground) connected up to all the lights wired through the pull switch which has 3 wires colored red, black and blue.

I know about black to black but where does the red wire and the blue wire go? The switch has 3 positions -- all lights off, candles on only, and all candles plus standard bulb on. I tried putting the red with the white, the blue with black with the result that the candles went on, the off position kept the lights off but when I pulled the chain a third time I blackened the wall outlet with a nice sized spark. What did I do wrong? Thanks.
This is not a DIY forum. Someone will be along soon to explain.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,118 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ElectricianTalk.com is designed for electrical industry professionals to discuss issues and topics related to the electrical trades and related industries. Many of our professionals are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.