Electrician Talk banner

Changing 10/3 no ground to 10/2 with ground

6K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  Mdell64 
#1 ·
I have a 220v 10/3 wire with no ground just black, red, white (2 hots and a neutral) that used to run to an old oven that has since been replaced with gas unit. I want to run this wire to a water heater so I only need 10/2 with ground. The panel box is older with neutrals and grounds sharing one bar. Can I use the neutral wire as a ground and mark it on both ends as such?

#2 ·
Just strip all the insulation off. Conductors this small are not permitted to be re-marked, but you can strip it.

#16 ·
Re identifying ground

Since your only reallocating the red or black as a ground, just re identify using a permanent method (aka green tape over the visible portion in the panel and at the water heater one you change to the ground bar, see article 250 of nec for any additional questions on ground identification) then as long as 90.3 the authority having jurisdiction doesn't have a problem with it, you are good to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.