Electrician Talk banner

Chargepoint flex issue

594 25
Thoughts?

Customer sent photo of a chargepoint they plugged into a 50 amp kiln receptacle we did a year ago, fed from a Homeline 50. Said they weren't sure what amps they set it to. Going to inspect the circuit Tuesday for them, as I've seen a polestar burn up a 60 amp ge and kill a chatger. I feel like the issues with car chargers will be frequent. Already had 2 clients get the red light of death on wall connectors. Interesting.
Pliers Gas Set tool Audio equipment Gadget
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Can't Remember
11,293 Posts
I guess I'd need to know what setting the charger was set to. The early Tesla chargers that went up to 80 amps smoked a couple of my installs. The newer ones have been ok. I don't care for the idea of the latest gen Tesla ones need you to connect to wifi to adjust the charger output. The previous ones had switching for it that I remember. What I really hate is skimpy to no documentation delivered with products and all you get is one of those codes to scan or a link. Don't they realize even in affluent areas, there isn't always wifi or cell service available. The lousy pictograms and poorly translated text is crap.

·
Can't Remember
11,293 Posts
Do these plug into a receptacle already there? It looks like you can order a couple of versions 14-50 or 6-50. Internal wiring should be able to handle any amp setting. Manufacturing defect?

·
Can't Remember
11,293 Posts
Most of my experience has been with Tesla. I've wired Porsche and some other off brand someone else provided. I wouldn't know whose to buy if it wasn't Tesla. We have a Tesla and I haven't bothered to put in a wall charger yet because the 120v has been keeping up with my wifes driving. Shes been working from home mostly so the 120v is fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts