Electrician Talk banner

Chargepoint flex issue

594 25
Thoughts?

Customer sent photo of a chargepoint they plugged into a 50 amp kiln receptacle we did a year ago, fed from a Homeline 50. Said they weren't sure what amps they set it to. Going to inspect the circuit Tuesday for them, as I've seen a polestar burn up a 60 amp ge and kill a chatger. I feel like the issues with car chargers will be frequent. Already had 2 clients get the red light of death on wall connectors. Interesting.
Pliers Gas Set tool Audio equipment Gadget
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I'd need to know what setting the charger was set to. The early Tesla chargers that went up to 80 amps smoked a couple of my installs. The newer ones have been ok. I don't care for the idea of the latest gen Tesla ones need you to connect to wifi to adjust the charger output. The previous ones had switching for it that I remember. What I really hate is skimpy to no documentation delivered with products and all you get is one of those codes to scan or a link. Don't they realize even in affluent areas, there isn't always wifi or cell service available. The lousy pictograms and poorly translated text is crap.
They may have set it for 48 even though it's plugged into a 50 amp kiln receptacle. They tried to get me to make them a second invoice a year after install, saying car receptacle not kiln receptacle like the original ironically enough. I told them it was against company policy.
Do these plug into a receptacle already there? It looks like you can order a couple of versions 14-50 or 6-50. Internal wiring should be able to handle any amp setting. Manufacturing defect?
Yes probably. Cheap junk.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have noticed the newer ones having more pressure, let us know what you find..that is if there's a visible story on the melt down...

Polarity seems correct, it could be that only a few strands were inserted and the rest bent back as the cable was being pushed in.
Theyre like tinned or soldered ends on the wall plug cord and those come preterminated. The installer puts the car charging cable under pressure clips which are also tinned.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
That my friend will be a warranty issue with manufacturer not installer, past the 1 year mark. Reach out to Tesla or have homeowner do so, that is if you don't have time to swing by just to discover it's the Wall Connector and not your wiring.
I am Tesla EV charger "certified installer", being on their website gets you about 2 or 3 hits a day sometimes of homeowners shopping for pricing.
I can't tell you how many ppl compare prices based off of the contractor that actually job walked it and not use him.
Sorry lady I can't give you a price if I don't know what I'm looking at, and your panel load calcs don't allow the capacity to charge your car that fast.
Either slow down the charge rate (lower amperage) or upgrade you electrical panel.

Trying to low-ball me on a $495.00 Nema 14-50R install when you just spent around $60k on that EV makes me be off that Tesla website. No thanks, too much time wasted on providing ho's install options with very little profit if any.
Don't forget that GFCI breaker for ev receptacles now.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
That my friend will be a warranty issue with manufacturer not installer, past the 1 year mark. Reach out to Tesla or have homeowner do so, that is if you don't have time to swing by just to discover it's the Wall Connector and not your wiring.
I am Tesla EV charger "certified installer", being on their website gets you about 2 or 3 hits a day sometimes of homeowners shopping for pricing.
I can't tell you how many ppl compare prices based off of the contractor that actually job walked it and not use him.
Sorry lady I can't give you a price if I don't know what I'm looking at, and your panel load calcs don't allow the capacity to charge your car that fast.
Either slow down the charge rate (lower amperage) or upgrade you electrical panel.

Trying to low-ball me on a $495.00 Nema 14-50R install when you just spent around $60k on that EV makes me be off that Tesla website. No thanks, too much time wasted on providing ho's install options with very little profit if any.
I messed with qmerit years ago which is similar. Major waste of time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts