Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a Catholic and parishioner at a local church. I often donate time and my electrical expertise for repair and upkeep of a large parish. Couple hours here and there, I don't charge for. I'm having trouble with a recent job that totals 1,300. They expect to be billed, I'm just battling whether to discount the labor
the whole job? The Church is definitely not hurting for money, but I know the pastors on a personal level, I guess I'm concerned about how they will feel about the bill total. Any thoughts?

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
I'm a Catholic and parishioner at a local church. I often donate time and my electrical expertise for repair and upkeep of a large parish. Couple hours here and there, I don't charge for. I'm having trouble with a recent job that totals 1,300. They expect to be billed, I'm just battling whether to discount the labor
the whole job? The Church is definitely not hurting for money, but I know the pastors on a personal level, I guess I'm concerned about how they will feel about the bill total. Any thoughts?
Charge them and don't be afraid to do it. Churches have money.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I often do work on the church vehicles and the pastor's cars as well. I charge but not nearly as much since i am doing it on the side. They are always happy to pay.

Sent from my LGMS769 using Tapatalk

·
HTTR
530 Posts
I always have tithed 10% of my earnings to my church every since I started working.

when I do work for any church I gladly offer a discounted rate and when the job is complete, I give back an offering of 10% of the job profit.

·
IBEW Local#269
339 Posts
If the church has plenty of money, then I don't see a problem with charging them your normal rate.
I wouldn't try to go high like I would on a customer with a Benz or BMW in the driveway, but I wouldn't shortchange myself either.
I would think that they would rather have a parishioner benefit from the work.
You could have them get estimates from other contractors, and do the job for a bit less if you're really concerned about it.

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,935 Posts
If the church has plenty of money, then I don't see a problem with charging them your normal rate.
I wouldn't try to go high like I would on a customer with a Benz or BMW in the driveway, but I wouldn't shortchange myself either.
I would think that they would rather have a parishioner benefit from the work.
You could have them get estimates from other contractors, and do the job for a bit less if you're really concerned about it.
What's the premium for a Benz over a Honda?

I certainly don't price my jobs by what's in the driveway.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I worked for a church for 2 years. They gladly paid any bills of work well done. They are like any good customer. They appreciate good workmanship and will gladly pay for it. They more than most have to hire contractors for all kinds of reasons and have been ripped off, especially parishioners that take advantage. Charge them full rate, and pay your tithe. Blessings are going both ways.

·
Registered
12,606 Posts
I wired an elevator for a church. Charged them for the whole thing as normal. Then discounted my labor. I looked at it as a bribe! You know, if I might need one in the future.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I worked for a church for 2 years. They gladly paid any bills of work well done. They are like any good customer. They appreciate good workmanship and will gladly pay for it. They more than most have to hire contractors for all kinds of reasons and have been ripped off, especially parishioners that take advantage. Charge them full rate, and pay your tithe. Blessings are going both ways.
I used to be in churchwork as well, and this holds true from my experience. They should be used to budgeting and paying for things normally just like any other business would.

I'd bill them like any other customer and tithe off what I was paid.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
dcb_minded said:
A church is run like a business, they understand that you are a business, not a charity. Sent from my SGH-T599 using Tapatalk

Yes. This is a fact. My neighbor is an employee of the local Methodist church. She is their receptionist. She answers calls rents out the conference center, gymnasium and so forth to paying customers. She is catholic by the way, and goes to the Catholic Church down the street. It's a business if it has employees.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
I wired an elevator for a church. Charged them for the whole thing as normal. Then discounted my labor. I looked at it as a bribe! You know, if I might need one in the future.
:laughing: Just in case, :thumbup: :whistling2:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts