Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 30 rigid conduits stubbed up through a slap on an electrical room wall, they will provide raceways for branch circuits from 3 seperate normal power 120/208 3 phase panels.

I am going to mount a 6x6x72" hoffman box over these conduits and then run 1 2 1/2" up to each panel.

Since some conduits vary from one another from finish floor 3" to 3 1/2" to the top, (damn concrete guys lol) I figured it would be easier just to spin on rigid couplings and use chase nipples into them through the box, killing two birds with one stone by using 1 rigid coupling and 1 chase nipple vs. 2 rigid locknuts and one plastic bushing per pipe.

Is this legal? Grounding is my concern, its under 250volts and I will be drilling my own holes into the wireway.

·
Registered
14,447 Posts
ArknSpark said:
I have about 30 rigid conduits stubbed up through a slap on an electrical room wall, they will provide raceways for branch circuits from 3 seperate normal power 120/208 3 phase panels. I am going to mount a 6x6x72" hoffman box over these conduits and then run 1 2 1/2" up to each panel. Since some conduits vary from one another from finish floor 3" to 3 1/2" to the top, (damn concrete guys lol) I figured it would be easier just to spin on rigid couplings and use chase nipples into them through the box, killing two birds with one stone by using 1 rigid coupling and 1 chase nipple vs. 2 rigid locknuts and one plastic bushing per pipe. Is this legal? Grounding is my concern, its under 250volts and I will be drilling my own holes into the wireway.
A chase nipple into a coupling will not be an effective ground. I'd make my own nipples to what ever length was needed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe I could thread a locknut onto the chase nipple then insert the chase nipple through the the enclosure and into the coupling? All conduits will have grounds pulled through them by the way, I should of said bonding was my concern.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
they are set 7/8" off the wall, mounted to strut below the slab. When they backfilled for gravel before the pour they must have dumped a whole bobcat bucket on the pipes. Worst case I buy 2" threaded nipples and cheat the short ones a 1/4" on each side. Just wanted to avoid it becasue it wouldnt look as professional.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Jlarson said:
We do that all the time. On a painted can scratch the paint first. Manufacturers sell chase nipples for this exact app. I also use 2 chases and a couple to go between starters and control cans to a wire way.
I've done that with panelboard tubs. Chase, coupling, chase.

·
Premium Member
19,996 Posts
I have about 30 rigid conduits stubbed up through a slap on an electrical room wall, they will provide raceways for branch circuits from 3 seperate normal power 120/208 3 phase panels.

I am going to mount a 6x6x72" hoffman box over these conduits and then run 1 2 1/2" up to each panel.

Since some conduits vary from one another from finish floor 3" to 3 1/2" to the top, (damn concrete guys lol) I figured it would be easier just to spin on rigid couplings and use chase nipples into them through the box, killing two birds with one stone by using 1 rigid coupling and 1 chase nipple vs. 2 rigid locknuts and one plastic bushing per pipe.

Is this legal? Grounding is my concern, its under 250volts and I will be drilling my own holes into the wireway.
Sounds like a nice wire friendly way to do it.
30 stub ups?
I would go at least 8x8 on that gutter, maybe even 12x12, you won't regret it if you have room for it. The next guy will be even happier.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
jrannis said:
Sounds like a nice wire friendly way to do it. 30 stub ups? I would go at least 8x8 on that gutter, maybe even 12x12, you won't regret it if you have room for it. The next guy will be even happier.
8" deep gutter is clown shoes, 12" is simply absurd. Unless you're piping into with 4" there's no need for all that extra metal

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.