Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

We use a popular anodized aluminum extrusion product for some of our custom equipment enclosures.

Please forgive the commercial link, but something like these:
http://www.8020.net/Solution-5.asp

I'm concerned about proper earthing of of all of these anodized aluminum bits, specifically with the above mentioned manufacturer.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue? They do sell an "anodization breaker" meant to electrically connect two adjacent pieces (Part# 12300). However no specs are given.

This type of AL extrusion system is very common in industry/factory floors. Any insight would be welcome.

Regards,

Chris

·
Registered
14,471 Posts
Serrated flanged hardware, kep nuts, external tooth washers.

·
Registered
31,884 Posts
The components are grounded by assembly unless I am missing something like plastic joints or other isolating components.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The components are grounded by assembly unless I am missing something like plastic joints or other isolating components.
The parts are anodized aluminum (ie. they have an oxide layer). Electrical connection from piece to piece is not guaranteed due to this layer.

Cut ends are exposed raw aluminum (untreated). However, most cut ends butt up to the anodized sides of other pieces. I would expect that untreated aluminum (without oxide grease, or whatever) would not pass the sniff test.

I feel that this is not an acceptable electrical connection for safety ground.

I see that some other manufacturers of the aluminum extrusions use serrated connectors. This manufacturer does not. However, we have a bit of history of using these guys, and it will take some serious seriousness for us to change manufacturers.

All input welcome.

-Chris

·
Registered
12,535 Posts
1234 said:
Hi all,

We use a popular anodized aluminum extrusion product for some of our custom equipment enclosures.

Please forgive the commercial link, but something like these:
http://www.8020.net/Solution-5.asp

I'm concerned about proper earthing of of all of these anodized aluminum bits, specifically with the above mentioned manufacturer.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue? They do sell an "anodization breaker" meant to electrically connect two adjacent pieces (Part# 12300). However no specs are given.

This type of AL extrusion system is very common in industry/factory floors. Any insight would be welcome.

Regards,

Chris
We use a washer between aluminum solar panels and the aluminum rails. They pierce the anodized coating. Might work, it can be used with a ground lug too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We use a washer between aluminum solar panels and the aluminum rails. They pierce the anodized coating. Might work, it can be used with a ground lug too.
I suppose you use that with grease. As dissimilar metals and the elements will quickly oxidize, compromising the connection.

I wonder what the automation guys and factories do with this aluminum extrusion stuff?

How do they ground entire assemblies?

For some reason, is this not a concern for these 8020 guys?

-Chris

·
Registered
12,535 Posts
1234 said:
I suppose you use that with grease. As dissimilar metals and the elements will quickly oxidize, compromising the connection.

I wonder what the automation guys and factories do with this aluminum extrusion stuff?

How do they ground entire assemblies?

For some reason, is this not a concern for these 8020 guys?

-Chris
No grease, the washer system seals it self. I think it called a WEEB washer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts