Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Part of my job is to inspect electrical panels monthly and there are a lot of them. Removing the cover, checking connections etc.. We had a company come out and use a heat gun to inspect the panels. This thing found breakers that were near the end, loose connections, corrosion on the bus bar. SO does anyone know of a decent heat gun that is under a grand?

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
You should probabally look into training and being able to diagnose what you see.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chewy said:
You should probabally look into training and being able to diagnose what you see.
If its warmer then the other breakers then you check it out. How hard can it be?

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
If its warmer then the other breakers then you check it out. How hard can it be?
Assuming your talking about FLIR. You can get alot of false readings depending on the material your measuring ie matt black will show up differently than chrome despite having the same temperature.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I bought a harbor freight (laugh now) fine, but it worked great, it have various
temperatures buttons (12) settings, with cool down.

We heated various PVC in a 4'- 6" piece of PVC, taped one end and rags in other.

We heated the life out of it.... I got so hot we had to use the 8 or 9 setting,
as to not burn the conduit...

·
Registered
163 Posts
The company I used to work for had Ideal HeatSeekers. I liked them.

But I second chewy, go to training and get certified, anyone can take pictures and say look this breaker is red change it. It looks better when the certified guy says it.

·
Can't Remember
10,442 Posts
I'd love a PQ analyzer too, but don't think I'd know what to do with what its telling me. Just like any of the high end gadgets, it takes some training and experience to really make the most of it. I have played with thermal cameras and its not something that makes you an instant genius. Neat tool though.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
To be fair, I really did picture a company testing a panel with this, and I was really confused:

That's the heat gun I have too and I also assumed that's what he was talking about.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts