Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the electrical contracting business for 47 years and retired 7 years ago. A former employee and now contractor called me yesterday with a question. Can he wire a child day care facility in NM cable? It's a wood frame single story building so my initial reaction was yes. I no longer have a code book but something tells me that NM is not allowed in that type of facility. Can someone answer this question please?

·
Hackenschmidt
11,912 Posts
To my reading the code doesn't rule out NM in a day care but I wouldn't do it without a clear response from the AHJ confirming it is compliant, which I would never get around here. They hate to see NM in commercial construction of any type and in a facility where people leave their kids, they're going to really squawk, I have seen them win these battles even when they are in the wrong. So I wouldn't even bother asking. I expect a day child care facility to be inspected particularly carefully with little latitude and that's understandable.

I could see how a day care could be considered an assembly occupancy so I'd probably have them springing for AC.

334.12 Uses Not Permitted.
(A) Types NM, NMC, and NMS. Types NM, NMC, and NMS
cables shall not be permitted as follows:
(1) In any dwelling or structure not specifically permitted in
334.10(1), (2), (3), and (5)
(2) Exposed within a dropped or suspended ceiling cavity in
other than one- and two-family and multifamily dwell‐
ings

(3) As service-entrance cable
(4) In commercial garages having hazardous (classified)
locations as defined in 511.3
(5) In theaters and similar locations, except where permit‐
ted in 518.4(B)

(6) In motion picture studios
(7) In storage battery rooms
(8) In hoistways or on elevators or escalators
(9) Embedded in poured cement, concrete, or aggregate
(10) In hazardous (classified) locations, except where specifi‐
cally permitted by other articles in this Code
518.4 Wiring Methods.
(B) Nonrated Construction. In addition to the wiring meth‐
ods of 518.4(A), nonmetallic-sheathed cable, Type AC cable,
electrical nonmetallic tubing, and rigid nonmetallic conduit
shall be permitted to be installed in those buildings or portions
thereof that are not required to be of fire-rated construction by
the applicable building code.

Informational Note: Fire-rated construction is the fire-resistive
classification used in building codes.

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
912 Posts
I would guess that the AHJ will think of a child care facility as health care. Where I live it would depend on the max allowed in the building. I did a Circle K years ago in NM. Occupancy was 43.

·
Registered
Electrician
160 Posts
NFPA 70/ 2020 edition.
Article 406
406.2 Definitions
Child Care Facility.
A building or structure, or portion thereof, for educational, supervisory, or personal services for more than four children.

have a safe day @ the office.

·
Hackenschmidt
11,912 Posts
NFPA 70/ 2020 edition.
Article 406
406.2 Definitions
Child Care Facility.
A building or structure, or portion thereof, for educational, supervisory, or personal services for more than four children.

have a safe day @ the office.
But that's in the tamper resistant receptacle section, it doesn't shed any light on wiring methods.

·
Registered
Estimator/PM last couple years. Switched to electrical trade in 1995.
55 Posts
The type of wiring should be delineated on the drawings. It is not up to the EC to design the wiring.
It is also NOT the EC's responsibilty to determine if something is a type of building or space. Meaning we do not decide if it is Health Care facility, or if the structure is the Type where NM is allowed. EC's are always asked to make these decisions and you need to stand your ground and hold the proper people liable. Because in court, the person(s) responsible will be liable.
Like it or not most times we are 'installers'. Our opinions don't mean **** without engineering degree in a court of law. Can most of us design and have the answers...YES. But it doesnt matter ultimately.

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
1,543 Posts
334.10 Uses Permitted.
Type NM, Type NMC, and Type NMS cables shall be permitted to be used in the following, except as prohibited in 334.12:

(1)One- and two-family dwellings and their attached or detached garages, and their storage buildings.
(2)Multi-family dwellings permitted to be of Types III, IV, and V construction.
(3)Other structures permitted to be of Types III, IV, and V construction. Cables shall be concealed within walls, floors, or ceilings that provide a thermal barrier of material that has at least a 15-minute finish rating as identified in listings of fire-rated assemblies.

Type III construction has two categories: one-hour rated and non-rated. Both categories require the structural framework and exterior walls to be of noncombustible material. One-hour rated construction requires all interior partitions to be one-hour rated. Non-rated construction allows nonbearing interior partitions to be of non-rated construction. The maximum permitted number of stories for multifamily dwellings and other structuresis two for non-rated and four for one-hour rated.
Type IV is a single construction category that provides for heavy timber construction. Both the structural framework and the exterior walls are required to be noncombustible except that wood
members of certain minimum sizes are allowed. This construction type is seldom used for multifamily dwellings but, if used, would be permitted to be four stories high.
Type V construction has two categories: one-hour rated and non-rated. One-hour rated construction requires a minimum of one-hour rated construction throughout the building. Non-rated construction allows non-rated interior partitions with certain restrictions. The maximum permitted number of stories for multifamily dwellings and other structures is two for non-rated and three for one-hour rated.
We would have to know more about the building type. As Splatz said, watch out for drop ceilings. It is definitely not health care. I doubt it has an area in it that would qualify as a place of assembly.

In comparison, my daughter went to a pre-school that was attached to a horse farm with many other animals. It was four small pre-school buildings. I would be surprised if they weren’t wired in Romex.

·
Registered
Licensed Electrical Contractor (20 years)
61 Posts
We done one not long ago. We used both NM in class rooms and most places behind and above the sheet rock.
Some areas like the halls and kitchens were sheet rocked before any subs ran their equipment. Then later they would install a drop ceiling below all the equipment, duct , sprinkler, etc... Those areas had to have MC or conduit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts