Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
Just trying to see if there is anything my neighbour can use his inherited generator for. It's a Chinese 7000W - 3 phase? 380V 50Hz Generator (Senkai brand. I can't even find any information on them. :vs_laugh:)

But I do believe since it's got a 3 pole breaker it's a 3 phase generator. So with that thought I think that the single phase power is 380v/1.73= 220v?

Could you run a heater on this 50hz generator and it wouldn't matter?

Are people actually after buying these things (my neighbours bought a ****ty chicken plucker from China, I feel they would have been able to use this for it's 50hz goodness).

Please point me in some sort of a direction. Thinking out loud is welcomed! What in the hell can this be used for.

Thanks

·
Registered
303 Posts
I its anything like the Chinese motors we see over here, getting it to start and run properly will be the biggest challenge never mind the output.

They seem fine initially, but once they have been sitting in a shed/garage during winter, its a different ball game...Stepson bought a cheap Chinese motor bike after he passed his bike test singing their praises, but a few months later he is now selling it because its just not reliable....

·
Can't Remember
10,202 Posts
I think unless you get lucky and the alternator is something you can rearrange the wiring with to change voltage and the HZ is easily changed to 60hz, I can't see it being of much use.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well alright than. My mind was racing wild on if there was a way it could be used. You know what is voltage anyways... Well a difference in potential. But than it started to get complicated. Okay. I will be telling the farmer to either scrap it, or expect basically nothing for it. I think the previous person had a post hole pounder or something that also came from China that it matched perfectly. It makes me so sad. To see all that waste going back to the landfill. You all ever watched The lightbulb conspiracy on youtube?

It's an eye opener.

But yes thanks for the replies. I don't think the farmer has time to waste rewiring the alternator but neat idea.

And as far as the chicken plucker chicken steve. It's at my other neighbours house so no picture. But that was a mess. I wired up a plug to run that chinese motor (my bad didn't know the hz thing being 50 in china at the time). So it spun too fast and broke off wings. So he went ahead and bought a huge plucker without me from the hederites (even though he asked me every other question for this whole build i did for him- his chicken processing facility made from a job site camp trailer). But that plucker was 3 phase. Haha. So a VFD it was....

·
Registered
14,469 Posts
The voltage will surge when the engine revs up.

Duh.

The Hertz should change, too.

The fact is, it's an orphan, too much trouble to mess with.

BTW, it'll be melted down and re-used. It won't be buried.

50 Hertz power was INVENTED to frustrate American 60 Hertz exports.

Yes, that was the intent from the get-go -- in the 19th Century.

All other stories are BS.

The term you're looking for is a designed-in trade barrier... a non-tariff barrier to trade.

·
Can't Remember
10,202 Posts
This happens all the time with customers, I got this great deal on a piece of equipment from Ebay or Craigslist. They buy something that doesn't match up with the voltage or phasing of their building and it takes more money than a new one to make it work. I tell them please call me before you buy so I can help you make the right decision.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.