Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eh, starting to get calls for hanging Christmas lights? How do you price hanging Christmas lights? Send the apprentice and charge half rate?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I used to do Christmas light installations until I started getting crazy on my own house every year. There was usually 2 types of people that would inquire; 1.) Little old lady whos husband was unable to get on a ladder or had recently passed away or 2.) Filthy rich with to big of a house to want to attempt hanging their own lights. For customer number one I would hang the lights and in return be paid with some sort of home baked treat that was made from scratch and worth more than a check. Customer number two would be charged normal business rates.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
I used to do Christmas light installations until I started getting crazy on my own house every year. There was usually 2 types of people that would inquire; 1.) Little old lady whos husband was unable to get on a ladder or had recently passed away or 2.) Filthy rich with to big of a house to want to attempt hanging their own lights. For customer number one I would hang the lights and in return be paid with some sort of home baked treat that was made from scratch and worth more than a check. Customer number two would be charged normal business rates.
its always great to see that

·
Banned
7,230 Posts
I would happily leave them up all year! I think I'm a christmas grinch.. or maybe a scrooge is more like it. The holiday is too commercialized and all about spending money on junk.

It's fun for the kids though, I like that part… and eggnog! Mmmmm eggnog.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
doublejelectric said:
Eh, starting to get calls for hanging Christmas lights? How do you price hanging Christmas lights? Send the apprentice and charge half rate?
We took this in this year. We charge $169/$189 in two online coupons for up to 2 man hours then $100/hr after that for extra stuff. Avg ticket now is around $350-$400. We sell or rent lights too at 100% markup. Projected 150-200 houses in next 3 weeks

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Dont shoot me but i dont think u can legally leave lts up all yr... I believe nec says 90 days for holiday lts( its been a while but i thought i read this)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cletis said:
We took this in this year. We charge $169/$189 in two online coupons for up to 2 man hours then $100/hr after that for extra stuff. Avg ticket now is around $350-$400. We sell or rent lights too at 100% markup. Projected 150-200 houses in next 3 weeks
That's a good idea. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
denny3992 said:
Dont shoot me but i dont think u can legally leave lts up all yr... I believe nec says 90 days for holiday lts( its been a while but i thought i read this)
That's only if it's being supplied with a temporary source of power. If you had soffit receps or any regular outdoor receps feeding your Xmas lights I think you could leave them up as long as you wanted

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
That's only if it's being supplied with a temporary source of power. If you had soffit receps or any regular outdoor receps feeding your Xmas lights I think you could leave them up as long as you wanted
I knew there was some redneck in that bluecollar! :thumbsup:

~CS~

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've seen the ninety day limit on the listing label on the light string itself. I guess they are meant to be disposable. :001_huh:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cletis said:
So, explain this renting of lights? How does that work? Pay ten bucks for a string and rent them to customer for twenty or they can buy them for twenty?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Easy. Send me, charge $50 a man hour, plus parts and difficulty level. I'll bill you. Trust me, I'm a Christmas lighting god.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts