Electrician Talk banner

Christmas outlets

2K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  480sparky 
#1 ·
Drove the family looking at lights. Drove by a house i wired that the HO told my jman he needed about 8 eve outlets for christmas lighting that he never ended up paying for. Anyway there wasnt a single string of lights plugged into his free had to have christmas package. He had 2 little chitty things plugged into the front porch. I was expecting a griswald house with all the outlets he had to have.

#2 ·
Figures.. some people man!

I took the family out driving around looking at lights, found one awesome house with crazy lights all sync to music and it was broadcasted on local FM radio. Makes me think I should be doing that crap, kind of embarrassing as an electrician to have cheap looking christmas lights. :icon_redface:

NEXT YEAR!

Any you guys do wild displays?

#3 ·
This years decorations are rather disappointing.

Been working late and was sick from Halloween till about a week after Thanksgiving so had no motivation or desire till this past weekend.

Ended up tossing 2 lighted deer, a 6' outdoor tree, and 2 sets of lights we put in the bushes. Another one we bought last year had almost every bulb blown. I replaced over 20 bulbs and then gave up.

Drove around trying to find a replacement tree for outside and some other lawn decor. Found a couple of things, but overall Im pretty disgusted with it.

Never even got around to installing my icicle lights or the rest of my lawn decorations.

#4 ·
FrunkSlammer said:
Figures.. some people man! I took the family out driving around looking at lights, found one awesome house with crazy lights all sync to music and it was broadcasted on local FM radio. Makes me think I should be doing that crap, kind of embarrassing as an electrician to have cheap looking christmas lights. :icon_redface: NEXT YEAR! Any you guys do wild displays?
I thought about doing something and ended up tearing it all down. Got the extension ladder out and was gonna put a star at the top of our pine. That my friends is not safe and whats even tougher is getting an extension ladder that all the way extended out of a tree when its stuck on all the branches in the rungs. If my neighbor recorded me i wouldve been a youtube star. So i tore all my lights down and called it good.

#6 ·
I used to work for a guy who put up Christmas lights at his sister's large house as a favour every year, so of course I had to put them up and take them down. Yeah they look nice but seriously, f*ck putting up hundreds and hundreds of those things off a ladder while trying to avoid mangling someone's landscaping. They did have a nice system in place, two 15A and one 20A circuits all on a contactor controlled by a photocell and a mechanical timer.

I'd rather just do what one of my neighbours used to do - put lots of coloured floodlights around the yard. Easy, and it looks different while still being nice.

#7 ·
That's where a bucket truck comes in handy :) if you can drive upto the tree.
We just finally got snow here yesterday.

Had one customer a couple weeks ago, goes all out with christmas lights and decorations.
Wanted more outlets, put 4 x 20A circuits out for him... paid cash.

#8 ·
Dan Wheeler said:
That's where a bucket truck comes in handy :) if you can drive upto the tree. We just finally got snow here yesterday. Had one customer a couple weeks ago, goes all out with christmas lights and decorations. Wanted more outlets, put 4 x 20A circuits out for him... paid cash.
I figure with LED lights i might put 1 20a circuit and call it good.

#16 ·
480sparky said:
Why are you sending a bill to two people? Send it to the one who hired you, not both.
Well i sent them to the builder who hired us and when i told the builder that the HO was having my jman do all this stuff without telling me and my guy assumed it was in the bid the builder said well you will just have to take it up with him then.

#23 ·
I usually have a bunch of icicle lights on the gutters up and down both sides of the house. As well as the led c-7 lamps in the bushes.
And a few light up deer. And wrap my front railing and walkway fence with c-7 led.
However this year I got super busy.
And the one time I went out and put most of the lamps in the bushes. Plugged them in and no workey!
Power to outlet is good, so I need to check out the strings.
It got too fricken cold to trouble shoot outside so I put the lights in the garage and never got around to it.
Owell next year

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.