Electrician Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you explain to your bargain shopping mother in law, who means well enough, that there are tools to play with and tools to work with? Because pretty much anything she's given me goes to my 5 month old son.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,586 Posts
It's the thought that counts.
I have a box full of tools the kids, wife and in-laws bought me. I use them for a couple of days and toss them in the box. My kids now laugh at the stuff they pull outa the box.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,586 Posts
99cents said:
She means well so I wouldn't hurt her feelings. Rather than have those tools sit in a box, why not donate them to charity? Some of those charitable second hand stores take hand tools.
That's a good idea.
Even a set of junk sockets is a life saver to someone who has nothing.

·
Registered
15,023 Posts
SamoanThor said:
How do you explain to your bargain shopping mother in law, who means well enough, that there are tools to play with and tools to work with? Because pretty much anything she's given me goes to my 5 month old son.
Some people would complain about being hung with a new rope!

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts
I would say wth is this then storm out of the room and slam the door.
:laughing:

better yet, throw a complete off the hook tantrum. dump your glass of eggnog on your wife, rip the new flat screen off the wall, pull your wife's curio cabinet on to the floor and hurl some of her favorite trinkets into the fireplace, then throw the tool right out through the front bay window, and drive off to the nearest titty bar and spend the rest of the holidays there, pi$$ing away your vacation savings.

Reactions: CADPoint

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
:lol: I like where this thread is going.

In seriousness, every year someone gives me a bunch of $2 tools because they know I love tools. It is the thought that counts, and there's usually an apprentice or helper somewhere who needs beater screwdrivers, so I just give them away.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Some people would complain about being hung with a new rope!

For me, it is not about complaining - I just hate to see people waste money on junk.

My MIL found out that I like wool socks. So, one Christmas she got me wool socks. I never wore them. They were nasty, cheap things. I only wear Thorlo, Wigwam, and Smartwool. I wish she had just saved her money or made a donation to charity in my name.

The same with tools. I have been given some that went straight into the junk box box and were eventually tossed.

This year, I made a wish list on Amazon with items ranging from $6 to $90. We'll see how that works out.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, the ridiculous part is when she's trying to explain how to use the tool and what I can use it for. Sure a CE multitool would come in handy if I left my tool belt and bag and tote and truck and green hands somewhere out of reach but only if I'm stripping 14 gauge. And not cutting it. And then acts like its the best tool I have in my arsenal. Which is false, that title belongs to my linemans. Also, She annoys/angers me in almost every way possible. I've considered divorce just to get away from her.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
For me, it is not about complaining - I just hate to see people waste money on junk...This year, I made a wish list on Amazon with items ranging from $6 to $90. We'll see how that works out.
Agreed. That's basically my MO too: I've got a really long list of crap that costs like $10. If someone wants to get me a gift, load up on something stupid like those retractable Sharpie markers. I go through those like crack, and would really appreciate getting them.

I've been trying to convert the family over to nothing but dumb cheap gifts for years. We don't need to spend hundreds of bucks on every family member. It's silly.

·
Kind of a big deal here
924 Posts
SamoanThor said:
Well, the ridiculous part is when she's trying to explain how to use the tool and what I can use it for. Sure a CE multitool would come in handy if I left my tool belt and bag and tote and truck and green hands somewhere out of reach but only if I'm stripping 14 gauge. And not cutting it. And then acts like its the best tool I have in my arsenal. Which is false, that title belongs to my linemans. Also, She annoys/angers me in almost every way possible. I've considered divorce just to get away from her.
Huh, weird... Sounds like she may just be buying the sh!ttiest tools on purpose!!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Annnnnnnnd it happened anyways. But at least she realized, thanks to my wife, she shouldn't try getting me work tools. Because, like buying sexy time clothing for the wife, I'm the only one that knows what I need to not ride up my butt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.