Electrician Talk banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for everyones help. I will not be spending a lot of time on this. The fixture is not mounted yet, it was being used as a worklight and the harp is bolted to a piece of pipe welded to an old car wheel and has a plug in cord. All I have done is open it up and verify that all the ID is gone. I was just hoping there was another way to ID it before I started screwing with it (I am not that stupid, I only look it!). I will pop a 400 in it as I have plenty and see what happens. I don't have any bigger bulbs on hand. I do volunteer work on easy stuff but this is not my first rodeo so I avoid getting too deep but help where I can be effective.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks minichopper6hp, that was the goose in the butt I needed. I forgot you can check the open circuit voltage. I just don't have to mess with this often enough. Had to dig through my books to find my HPS diagnostic pamphlet that I have not touched in forever! LOL Thanks again.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yeah, I reread the book after I vacuumed the cobwebs out of it. I swear it says remove the wire from the starter 50 times in two pages! LOL

·
Stlchuck
31 Posts
Definitely don't forget to disconnect X3 before checking secondary open circuit voltage!
The SOCV of a 250 watt and a 400 watt is about identical( 175-225V),but the short circuit current is 5-7.6A for 400W and 3-5.3A for 250W.
Google Advance Ballast's guide to HID ballasts for more details or for other lamp size ratings.
You could also maybe look at the capacitor and check the size of it to make a guess at the ballast size, a 400 watt uses a 55mfd cap and a 250 use a 35mfd

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
Turn it into a Scout project. Have them do some conservation energy management calculations, ROI for upgrading to LED's or some such.

Apply it towards badges and/or unit awards.
Sure Pete....

Another generation of energy nazis , complete with merit badges , are born....:rolleyes: Then they'll probably all migrate to my state, which is so blue it can be seen from distant corners of the milky way.....:laughing:~CS~:whistling2:

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Okay, doing my civic duty usually causes issues and this one is irritating me. This fixture is going to be installed on church grounds to illuminate a large play area so that the Boy Scouts can use it at night. It is a good sized and it measures 23X 18 X 9 inches. Now the problem, the only thing I know about it is that it was made by hi-tek Lighting. There is a label inside the cover but it can't be read, the label is gone from the ballast and there is no bulb. I really don't want to kit it if I do not have to as there is no money (never is, is there?). Is there any way to ID the size of bulb? I assume it needs a 400 because of the ignitor label but I googled it and what I read suggests it fits 250 400 600 etc. Any help or do I just try it? I guess I am not good enough because I have never had to work without some kind of specs and my fingers are numb from Googling and reading old threads here. I posted a bunch of pics on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/tom.cherry.184/posts/364121130435369
Any help will be appreciated.

If you cover shipping I have a Rab 400 watt flood on the shelf, used. I believe the bulb is no good ...send a prepaid box it's yours.

Sent from my SPH-L710T

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Don't forget, if you work on the fixture it will be your fault if anything goes wrong, probably for the next several years.
Whilst that may be true ?
There's nothing wrong with putting something back into the community,
especially if it's where you live !

Go for it !

:thumbup:

·
Banned
11,766 Posts
31 posts and no real advice. :blink: Open the fixture and look at the ballast label, it should have a code like M59, S51, H33. That is an ANSI code. If no code just chuck it.

IMO, unless vintage or someone wants it I just scrap them. But its your call. If the ballast is still good and high end (like advance) it might be worth re using that part.

EDIT: Never mind. I see your pics, the label is gone. Shame though, ballast is precision wound. Just chuck it. If it helps I randomly guess 400 watt HPS.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Why chuck a light fixture that could be ok ?
Put a 400w lamp in it and see what happens,
It will soon be known where it's at !
It will either work right or not .
Enough guessing, just do it

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Sorry I have not posted back sooner. I have been off of work due to an injury. It was actually easy to figure out after minichopper6hp told me to check the open circuit voltage. I had not had to use anything I learned about lights 20 years ago and so forgot. I pulled out my book, checked it out and put a 400 in it. It works great and my total cost installed was under $30 (including some high heat silver paint). Yes, we could retrofit or get another fixture but when you are dealing with charity budgets there is no extra money and if I can help in my spare time I know that I made a difference. It took less than 2 hours to fix it and paint it so I am not out anything more than a Saturday morning but it will give back for a long time. Easy ones like this also earn goodwill points so I can turn down the nasty stuff (but I probably won't, I never learn! LOL). Thanks to everyone

21 - 35 of 35 Posts