Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I do a lot of work in old houses -- lots of BX cable, old steel conduit, occasional k/t, plaster and lath walls and worse. I need a circuit tracer that works in this environment. I've read all the posts and this specific concern hasn't come up. Had any one got any actual experience using one, like the ideal maybe, on this kind of application? I hate the very thought of shelling out $600+ to discover that it doesn't work very well.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
mikewillnot said:
I do a lot of work in old houses -- lots of BX cable, old steel conduit, occasional k/t, plaster and lath walls and worse. I need a circuit tracer that works in this environment. I've read all the posts and this specific concern hasn't come up. Had any one got any actual experience using one, like the ideal maybe, on this kind of application? I hate the very thought of shelling out $600+ to discover that it doesn't work very well.
i use the basic klein circuit tracer. No problem for this

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I have the Sperry Instruments CS61200 Circuit Tracker.

Works well for me, I put a radio on circuit when seeking with
module it it will cause static on radio reception. you know you on
circuit when radio is across floot or in other rooms.

There is an additional piece you can buy to clip into lamps!
same price as ~ klien at tops $100.00.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I think just about any of the tone generators you typically see data guys carrying would work but I understand the concern over buying one of the big ticket Ideal models only to find it does not work. We have one of the pricey Ideal models and while the breaker tracing is superb the open circuit tracing has not impressed me. In fairness I have not used the feature all that much. My work is all conduit and steel beams and studs so I don't know how well that translates to residential. I think the signal would be less degraded through wood lath but who knows?

For the life of me I cannot remember the old brand name of tone generator I used to see all the data techs carrying.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thanks to a member here for jogging my memory. The brand of tone generator I was thinking of was Progressive Electronics. Seems they were bought by Greenlee back in 1999 or so. Shows you how much I keep up! Here is the Greenlee page with tone generators and probes. Scroll toward the bottom and and you will see them. They carry on to the next page as well. Look for models with something like 701K in the kit models. If you click on them you will see a tone probe amp labeled something like 200eP. To me this looks identical to the old Progressive models. So it doesn't look as if Greenlee has fiddled with them. Whatever you get it may help to look for one with a headphone jack. The tone can get pretty annoying to nearby people and using the headphones can help you tell minute differences in the tone a bit better. Not necessary but something to think about. Hope this helps.

·
Electron Pathway Engineer
3,105 Posts
Just to clarify, I'm not looking for a circuit breaker finder; I'm after a genuine circuit tracer that will work for finding open circuits in this environment.
Can you clarify for us:
About mikewillnot
What is your electrical related field/trade:
residential contractor
Are you a residential contractor or a residential Electrical contractor? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Welp, dewalt was to come out with a wall penatrating sonar, I beleive it's on
You tube.

it was to be already out, but I think it's been delayed!

5:30 viewing real give a show at 2:30...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.