Electrician Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

(C) Wiring Device Without a Separate Outlet Box. A wiring device identified for the use, without a separate outlet box, and incorporating an integral cable clamp shall be permitted where the cable is secured in place at intervals not exceeding 1.4 m (4½ ft) and within 300 mm (12 in.) from the wiring device wall opening, and there shall be at least a 300 mm (12 in.) loop of unbroken cable or 150 mm (6 in.) of a cable end available on the interior side of the finished wall to permit replacement.

I read this as only needing a 'loop' at fixtures and appliances. However, I have never seen a job on my area wired without 'loops' at very device imaginable. I have also failed one years ago. I keep seeing pictures of your guys stuff without loops anywhere, and I makes me cringe.

So who's right, loops, no loops, or should I just stay baffled by everybody's interpretation but mine?

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts

(C) Wiring Device Without a Separate Outlet Box. A wiring device identified for the use, without a separate outlet box, and incorporating an integral cable clamp shall be permitted where the cable is secured in place at intervals not exceeding 1.4 m (4½ ft) and within 300 mm (12 in.) from the wiring device wall opening, and there shall be at least a 300 mm (12 in.) loop of unbroken cable or 150 mm (6 in.) of a cable end available on the interior side of the finished wall to permit replacement.

I read this as only needing a 'loop' at fixtures and appliances. However, I have never seen a job on my area wired without 'loops' at very device imaginable. I have also failed one years ago. I keep seeing pictures of your guys stuff without loops anywhere, and I makes me cringe.

So who's right, loops, no loops, or should I just stay baffled by everybody's interpretation but mine?
"loops" as in what?:blink:

Are you talking about switchlegs?

Daisy chaining through device boxes?

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there shall be at least a 300 mm (12 in.) loop of unbroken cable or 150 mm (6 in.) of a cable end available on the interior side of the finished wall to permit replacement.
Curly q's before entering a switch box/receptacle/can light/panel etc.

·
Registered
387 Posts
The loop requirement is for devices like switches and receptacles that are used in manufactured homes. They are self contained and don't require a box as the article states.

·
Registered
13,346 Posts
Mshow1323 said:
334.30 (C) Wiring Device Without a Separate Outlet Box. A wiring device identified for the use, without a separate outlet box, and incorporating an integral cable clamp shall be permitted where the cable is secured in place at intervals not exceeding 1.4 m (4½ ft) and within 300 mm (12 in.) from the wiring device wall opening, and there shall be at least a 300 mm (12 in.) loop of unbroken cable or 150 mm (6 in.) of a cable end available on the interior side of the finished wall to permit replacement. I read this as only needing a 'loop' at fixtures and appliances. However, I have never seen a job on my area wired without 'loops' at very device imaginable. I have also failed one years ago. I keep seeing pictures of your guys stuff without loops anywhere, and I makes me cringe. So who's right, loops, no loops, or should I just stay baffled by everybody's interpretation but mine?
Who taught you that?

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Who taught you that?
Get over yourself....

However, I have never seen a job on my area wired without 'loops' at very device imaginable. I have also failed one years ago.
Every municipality AHJ I have come in contact with... There is a difference at what is being taught, I what a given inspector wants practiced...

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The loop requirement is for devices like switches and receptacles that are used in manufactured homes. They are self contained and don't require a box as the article states.

And that's how I read it as well.

·
Registered
13,346 Posts
Mshow1323 said:
Get over yourself.... Every municipality AHJ I have come in contact with... There is a difference at what is being taught, I what a given inspector wants practiced...
It was a question not a comment. You have pretty thin skin for an electrician. Your picture shows a box being fed with a loop, not a self contained device. Also you need a staple within 12 inches when the cable is clamped.

Maybe proof read your posts too, they are...confusing.

·
Pool Shark
472 Posts
Why Why Why ?? :wallbash::wallbash:

This should be be under the "Special Occupancy" section. Not under the "how to support romex" section.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I worked at a company where we made a loop before entering any switch or receptacle. We mostly wired high end homes and it saved a lot of time when people would ask us to move boxes to the other side of a stud. I miss working for people where money was not a concern at all. I remember changing the lighting layout for bathroom sconces 4 times in 2 weeks in one bathroom.

To clarify we did not make a true loop. We would place a staple 4 inches from the box and then make something that looked like a wave back to the box. Gave us 8" of extra wire. Was also helpful if the rockers damaged the wire when cutting out for the box.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,785 Posts
I thought that in Chicagoland they don't allow romex . But that leads me to another question. Do your local inspectors also require a loop of conduit coming into every box just in case you have to replace or relocate the device?:whistling2:

·
Banned
1,486 Posts
:blink:

Never even thought of doing that, and no inspector has ever called me for not doing it.

I seem to think they're talking about a device such as a Range receptacle .

I only leave a " Loop " on things like a counter recpt , Vanities , ect. ,where the owner still has not decided on what size tile, ect. is going on the wall . I can center it later no mater what they decide on .

Pete

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thought that in Chicagoland they don't allow romex . But that leads me to another question. Do your local inspectors also require a loop of conduit coming into every box just in case you have to replace or relocate the device?:whistling2:
Contrary to popular belief, the loop isn't there for relocation purposes (if you move it you lose the loop), it's there the relieve the stress of the wire on the connector. I don't make the rules.
IL rules are based on jurisdiction, every municipality has it's own rules, and license requirements, and not all jurisdictions reciprocate. I currently have six licenses, and most need a separate bond. It gets expensive very quickly.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,785 Posts
Contrary to popular belief, the loop isn't there for relocation purposes (if you move it you lose the loop), it's there the relieve the stress of the wire on the connector. I don't make the rules.
IL rules are based on jurisdiction, every municipality has it's own rules, and license requirements, and not all jurisdictions reciprocate. I currently have six licenses, and most need a separate bond. It gets expensive very quickly.
Actually, the staple within 8'' of single gang boxes and 12'' of larger ones is what takes the strain off of the connectors. Anything in addition to that is folly of thinking by the local AHJ that he knows better , which is kinda like the older women who still think they got it, when in fact their asses are sagging, and so are the boobs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts