Electrician Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in the middle of cleaning up material and gang boxes plus all the golf carts at a large factory for the EC I'm working for. There is so much material strung out and mixed together that it is overwhelming. I'm talking about 1/4-20 nuts and bolts to huge tray cable CBG's that cost a lot.

My question is, where's the line? What do you just throw out and forget about ? I am well aware of the cost of my labor vs. the cost of material and that is why I am asking.

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
In my opinion it has to be high value stock to justify electricians wages to sort and save.

We ship back to the warehouse and have it sorted, tossed or saved by people making much less than electricians.

Nuts bolts washers get tossed out at the job in most cases

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
I am well aware of the cost of my labor vs. the cost of material and that is why I am asking.
I'm confused????If you are well aware of it, what is the question? Obviously you shouldn't spend a dollar to make a dime.

If you have a labor surplus, the line is drawn at spending a dime to make a dime. There is no loss except opportunity costs.

If you are short on labor supply and you could be earning money doing another job, the dime to dime ratio goes up accordingly.

I always liked that job. Don't let it overwhelm you. Get a crapload of boxes, large and small and dig in.

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,418 Posts
In my opinion it has to be high value stock to justify electricians wages to sort and save.

We ship back to the warehouse and have it sorted, tossed or saved by people making much less than electricians.

Nuts bolts washers get tossed out at the job in most cases
Pretty much same here. If it looks like it might be useful, we toss it into an empty gang box and let the shop guys sort it out and stock it on the shelves.

·
Homer to Jebus
Electron Flow Consultant
825 Posts
I am currently in the middle of cleaning up material and gang boxes plus all the golf carts at a large factory for the EC I'm working for. There is so much material strung out and mixed together that it is overwhelming. I'm talking about 1/4-20 nuts and bolts to huge tray cable CBG's that cost a lot.

My question is, where's the line? What do you just throw out and forget about ? I am well aware of the cost of my labor vs. the cost of material and that is why I am asking.
In most of the companies I've worked for, the apprentices get the job of sorting back at the warehouse. I've done it plenty and was done in an hour. Gets easier if you sort as you go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts