Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
95% of the calls I get from friends are that they changed their 3ways out at their house and now the lights don't work right.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
95% of the calls I get from friends are that they changed their 3ways out at their house and now the lights don't work right.
This guy blew the 100 amp main because of all the short circuits he created , and the main breaker would not reset because the switch mechanism broke when he tried to reset it..:laughing:

Thankfully it was a Murray panel from 1987 So those breakers are easy to find.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Looks like you got paid.:thumbup:

Reactions: HARRY304E

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like the handy-hack didn't know those were backwired switches either.
He met his match on this one thanks to an oldtimer who wired the place..:laughing:

He set up the travelers so reds was one of the BX cables and blacks was the other I was stumped for a wile..:eek::laughing:

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
He met his match on this one thanks to an oldtimer who wired the place..:laughing:

He set up the travelers so reds was one of the BX cables and blacks was the other I was stumped for a wile..:eek::laughing:

Hey ! I RESENT THAT !!!!

Quit picking on me :mad:

worlds_greatest_old_timer_cartoon_canvas-r9d48d781eb0c4757b7b9237ded419b21_wta_8byvr_324.jpg

·
Registered
3,342 Posts

nice....see that once in a bluemoon...hate when they have done it and a HO pulls it all apart ........extensioncord and multi meter:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
...and replace main.....nice...cha-ching.....hot-swap-extra charges apply:thumbsup:

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good thing he didn't try to "jam" a dimmer switch in the box and knock off all the old wire insulation....

I hope you stock shrink tubing in your truck.. :thumbsup:
He tried to stuff a timer switch in there ,for the front light,he hooked up the black and red and left the white and green just stuffed in the box with the ends stripped..:blink:

He needs to get belted good one of these days:laughing:

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
about 3,..4 years ago thanksgiving eve got a call HO was changing out 2 light fixtures before his company arrived needless to say he f'd it all up...got there at 7pm house full of drunks some snobby drunk lady telling ..me how to t-shoot it:blink:...3 way switch tap @ light #2 with dead ended return from down stairs....all in 14/2:mad: those are are hard as Chinese arithmetic...but got it..zoom...bang check please...label numbers/pad/extension cord/fluke.....yeah resi is all ham and eggs....:whistling2:

·
Chairman of the Bored
9,779 Posts
I've run into the "using the ground screw as a traveler" but at least your guy used insulated wire: I recently came across the bare egc used in romex as a taveller. F'd in the head man.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts