Electrician Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I had a couple of guys working in an assisted living facility relamping the main lobby area. One employee set a step ladder on its side and went to shut off a circuit breaker. The two minutes that he was gone a lady in a cane with poor vision ran into the ladder and fell over. The lady, fortunately was alright after being checked out by the nurse at the facility. All I have to say is to be constantly aware of your surroundings and look out for other people. What you may not see as a hazard might be dangerous to others. Work safe.

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You also have to watch what tools you have lying around..

It is good policy to have a "spotter" working with the guy to keep an eye on anything that can go wrong..

It adds cost to the job but the safety factor is priceless....
We typically will have a ground guy or as you call it a spotter to keep an eye on anyone coming. We learned a lesson today and we were fortunate no one was seriously hurt.

·
Electrical Contractor
Owner
4,237 Posts
You also have to watch what tools you have lying around..

It is good policy to have a "spotter" working with the guy to keep an eye on anything that can go wrong..

It adds cost to the job but the safety factor is priceless....

We have a couple of projects in schools right now.
Class change is the worst, because no matter how old they are, they don't watch where they are walking:eek:
We have to make sure there are no tools or material in the halls at that time, and minimum stuff the rest of the time.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
We have a couple of projects in schools right now.
Class change is the worst, because no matter how old they are, they don't watch where they are walking:eek:
We have to make sure there are no tools or material in the halls at that time, and minimum stuff the rest of the time.
Been there lots of times. It's like a panic to get that ladder out of the hallway when the bell rings! :laughing:

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Today I had a couple of guys working in an assisted living facility relamping the main lobby area. One employee set a step ladder on its side and went to shut off a circuit breaker. The two minutes that he was gone a lady in a cane with poor vision ran into the ladder and fell over. The lady, fortunately was alright after being checked out by the nurse at the facility. All I have to say is to be constantly aware of your surroundings and look out for other people. What you may not see as a hazard might be dangerous to others. Work safe.
We will all be in her shoes one day:(

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
At some point yes, if we are lucky.
My dad is 80, no health problems, worked hard as a trucker for many years......Still going strong ....fingers crossed, hoping for many more..

·
Registered
427 Posts
My dad is 80, no health problems, worked hard as a trucker for many years......Still going strong ....fingers crossed, hoping for many more..
I was lucky to have had two great-grandparents live into their mid 90's with only twice weekly visits by a health worker to their home that they kept up themselves. They only needed help with the lawn work. There is hope for me yet!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts