Electrician Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

So im kind of embarrassed about this, but I don't know how a DC clutch break works.

I got a new Job and we use lots of DC motors here. The motor is controlled through a control box with a start/stop (green button), Auto/manual switch, Emergency stop button, and a speed control.

The motor is hooked up to a clutch/ break with 4 wires coming out of it. 2 black wires, 1 label clutch, one break; and 2 red wires, 1 clutch, 1 break.

The motor runs on 90 VDC, when I test the V of the 2 black wires when on auto I have 130 VDC. When I turn the switch to manual aka hand I have 130 VDC between the red wires.

Can somebody explain exactly how the clutch break works. What happens on the inside when I apply voltage. Cant find a youtube video or anything online. Hope this question isn't too lame.

thanks in advance!

I just switched from Commercial construction to motors so Im learning a ton! And yes I am still an apprentice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The ones that I have used were a spring applied, power released disk type brake that was installed on the end of the armature shaft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_brake

The spring holds the brake on until power is applied to the motor. The power also goes to the coil in the brake assembly and pulls it "off". When the power is removed (switched off) the spring applies pressure to the brake disk to hold the motor.

Reactions: guest

·
Super Moderator
16,346 Posts
Not a lame question, but lets be certain as to what you have.
You have a 90 volt DC motor connected to this clutch/brake assembly?
Or you have a motor that contains a clutch/brake internal?

In both cases most likely the motor runs all the time and the clutch brake is energized to turn the shaft that extends from the clutch/brake assembly.
I have seen these used a tensioners for coiling applications and i have seen them used as conveyor belt manual control.
Sometimes the clutch/brake assembly is energized by a foot pedal and operator can use. To start or stop the conveyor for example.
What is your application?

In my examples, the clutch/brake is energized by an outside influence like a foot pedal.
Pressing down on the foot pedal energizes the clutch/brake coil and that in turn pulls the clutch plate in and allows the shaft to turn.
Is this what you are asking about?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts