Electrician Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Estwing magic
27,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a big jar of Ideal RG6 compression connectors and they fall off using the Klown compression tool. I was blaming it on the connectors but I was talking to a cable guy last week. He tried his compression tool and they work fine. The Klown compression tool worked okay on other makes of compression connectors. I don't have a mismatch between RG59 cable and RG6 connectors.

I am confused, dumbfounded and perplexed...

Attachments

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
I bought a big jar of Ideal RG6 compression connectors and they fall off using the Klown compression tool. I was blaming it on the connectors but I was talking to a cable guy last week. He tried his compression tool and they work fine. The Klown compression tool worked okay on other makes of compression connectors. I don't have a mismatch between RG59 cable and RG6 connectors.

They should all work the same, however it would not surprise me if those were made for just the Ideal tool..

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Don't use ideal connectors with Klein compression crimpers. The ideal connectors just suck, they usually have a inner barrel that is supposed to slide behind the cable's sheath, but most manufacturers make the outer sheath of coax so tight, you can't slide that inner barrel in.

I personally actually use the Klein tools connectors, never have had a problem with them. I was originally hesitant about buying connectors from a tool manufacturer, but they work great -- so I keep buying them.

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
There are TWO lengths of compression (I call them snap-n-seal) coax fittings. The typical length we see most, but a couple brands (like PPC comes to mind) area a good 1/4" shorter than most. They take either a special compression tool or you need the spacer (which comes with damn few compression tools) to insert into the tool while you're crimping to get a complete press.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Don't use ideal connectors with Klein compression crimpers. The ideal connectors just suck, they usually have a inner barrel that is supposed to slide behind the cable's sheath, but most manufacturers make the outer sheath of coax so tight, you can't slide that inner barrel in.

I personally actually use the Klein tools connectors, never have had a problem with them. I was originally hesitant about buying connectors from a tool manufacturer, but they work great -- so I keep buying them.
Yup, definitely had that issue

I've just been using the belden connectors.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
99cents said:
I bought a big jar of Ideal RG6 compression connectors and they fall off using the Klown compression tool. I was blaming it on the connectors but I was talking to a cable guy last week. He tried his compression tool and they work fine. The Klown compression tool worked okay on other makes of compression connectors. I don't have a mismatch between RG59 cable and RG6 connectors. I am confused, dumbfounded and perplexed...
That crimper is for f connectors only

·
Banned
7,221 Posts

I use that compression tool and it works perfect.. are you using this thing to strip the coax?

·
Estwing magic
27,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
YOU ARE USING QUAD SHEILD CONNECTORS WITH DUAL OR TRIPLE SHIELD CABLE! In all fairness most "universal" connectors are designed for triple and quad shield cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good god. That's going to take some explaining. It's cable that goes to a TV. Now you're telling me there are different kinds of cable beyond RG59 and RG6?

All this technology just to watch Desperate Housewives. Civilization is doomed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.